Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't get on here too often but It's a nasty stormy night and I figured I'd post up my doings over the past months.

Car is a 1995 Chevy Caprice Classic 9c1 Impala SS Clone. Has about 180k on the body. I have had the car for roughly 6 years. It's come a LOONG way since the day I purchased it from an abused home. Anyway after one year of sitting engine less. I decided to spend a gratuitous amount of money on the car. I was donated a an LT1 from a z28 that a friend and I had just finished swapping in a 383 in. With that, my interest was rekindled. I promptly sent it out to get shot peened, bored .030 over, aligned honed with ARP main studs. Had the crank polished, stock rods reconditioned with ARP cap bolts and new hyperutetic pistons. Upping the compression to 11:1

Wile the short block was being tooled on at the machine shop. I sent the heads out to Lloyd Elliott to become LE2's. Had him spec me out a custom grind cam. 224/230 .573/.568 110 LSA. Added new LS7 Hyd Lifters, JEGS hardened push rods, TFS guide plates and Scorpion Endurance series 1.6 roller rockers. New timing chain, oil pump drive gear with support brace, ARP oil pump drive shaft and a Melling 155HV pump.

I then picked up a CPT level 3 4l60e, with a Precision Industries 2800 stall triple disk converter. Acquired a set of Rustic racing Front upper and lower A-arms, which I had sand blasted, and then repainted with POR-15. Added a set of Hotchkiss rear upper and lower rear trailing arms and a set of Dick Miller Racing triangulation links.

Onto the pics!

The tear down.

Engine coming together

Some sweet LE port work

Front end stripped ready for paint

After paint

Underside ready for paint

After Paint :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

I finally got around to installing my Kore3 325mm c5 ZO6 Front brake upgrade.

Big'er brakes

Dropping the engine in

Looking good IMO

Plug wires on

Finished up the X pipe.

3" to 2-1/2" trying to keep it as smooooth as possible

Jegs universal X pipe

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Maze of stuff during painting. Painted everything in POR-15. Finders, inner fenders, bumper supports. Pretty much everything.

Fenders painted

Pictures do no justice to how smooth POR-15 goes on.

Sandblasted every bolt and nut I couldn't easily replace with stainless steel

Ready for the front clip :)

Almost finished with the coolers. Setrab oil cooler at the upper right. Bottom right is a modified Generac oil cooler used as a power steering cooler. Top left is a double stacked stacked plate transmission cooler with a 6" 300 cfm fan on the back Custom assembled by me.

External transmission filter to protect my small investment.

El'cheapo all aluminum radiator from China. Has 2 Zirgo 14" fans rated at 2785 CFM each.

Here it is after a quick wipe down with some speed detailer. Looks pretty dang good after all the shop dust is wiped off. :D

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Wow! Sounds and looks amazing! What kind of horsepower are you anticipating?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone. I plan to keep the fugly hitch for a little wile. Car used to pull my pos boat and a trailer. Has rescued many F bodys from the drag strip. As for power, its an LE2 heads cam 355. So I'm shooting for mid to high 300's at the wheels.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Nice. So what injectors and throttle body did you end up going with?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am running 32lbhr Bosh III's from Fuel Injector Connection. For the throttle body I am running 52 mm BBK. Which I need to modify to lower my IAC counts. Sad to say its not all that great of a TB. But the price was right and I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Very nice build. I wish I had the time and space to do the same. Is that an oil filter relocation kit? Did you custom make it? Do the valve covers work as purchased or did you have to mod them at all?

Tim

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Clean Bro! Made it to My Top 5 Bubbles
Thanks man. Was a long time coming.

Very nice build. I wish I had the time and space to do the same. Is that an oil filter relocation kit? Did you custom make it? Do the valve covers work as purchased or did you have to mod them at all?

Tim
Hey Tim, Thanks for the comments. The oil filter on the frame rail is for the transmission. I wanted to up the filtration for my tranny. The K&N will filter down to as small as 10 micron. I have read that the factory in pan filter is only good to around 100 micron. Its somewhat custom. I used a generic remote filter housing from Jegs, then just plumbed it in with stainless steel braided lines. Filter is in the cooler lines after the trans cooler. The filter I selected has a bypass valve and anti drainback valves.

The valve covers bolt on with no modification. For installation on an F body, the back of the alternator needs to be ground down some. They bolt up fine with no modification to the alternator on B bodys.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I love that sound! So did you end up porting the stock intake manifold or did you go lt4?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I gasket matched an LT1 intake manifold. Smoothed out the runners, gasket matched the ports and smoothed out the air entrance after the throttle body.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick update. Bumper is on, alignment is sort of done. Sent an email out with some data logs and descriptive text. Hoping to have a new tune by Friday so I can go show off at the local car show :).

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
oh i forgot to ask, is your full exhaust installed in that video you posted?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No the exhaust is open x pipe, dumping before the rear axle. Waiting on a set of DynoMax VT mufflers...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.