Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried this in another forum and got nothing back so I'm gonna try here...

I'm about to redo my system and have a couple of things in mind. as far as a head unit I already have the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 already installed.

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

I have a JL G4500 still in the box for the highs and mids

JL Audio G Series G4500 4-channel car amplifier — 80 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com

And a JL GMAX as well. I got them both for cheap cause the line was discontinued.

JL Audio G Series G-MAX Mono subwoofer amplifier — 1,200 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

I'm thinking about running 2 JL 12W3v3-4 which I should be able to do with the amp despite it not being a slash series.

JL Audio 12W3v3-4 W3v3 Series 12" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield Signature

Or one or two JL 12W6v2-D4 but, someone told me it'd be too much or the amp couldn't do it.

JL Audio 12W3v3-4 W3v3 Series 12" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield Signature

For the highs and mids I thought of running Kenwood Excelon KFC-X1730P and...

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X1730P 6-3/4" component speaker system — also fits many 6-1/2" openings at Crutchfield Signature

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X693 for the rears

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X693 6" x 9" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield Signature

I did think about replacing the head unit for a screen and considered staying with Kenwood with the Kenwood Excelon KVT-696

Kenwood Excelon KVT-696 DVD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

Or going with the VIR-8310NRB - Soundstream In-Dash 8.3" TFT-LCD Touchscreen DVD/CD/MP3 Receiver w/ Bluetooth for the bigger screen and cheaper.

WoofersEtc.com - VIR-8310NRB - Soundstream In-Dash 8.3" TFT-LCD Touchscreen DVD/CD/MP3 Receiver w/ Bluetooth

Any input is appreciated and even though most of the links came from Crutchfield, I already know where to get all this under their prices like most of you already know too. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I'd keep the 994 in there. Where do you plan on putting an in dash screen if you're planning on keeping the 994? Also, the 2 amps should be pretty good amps for you. Make sure you run proper wiring. I'd recommend 1/0 back to the trunk and split that into 4 gauge for the 2 amps. For your front speakers, I'd recommend Pioneer TS-D1720C components. They were picked as number 6 out of 10 for the top 10 speakers of the past decade by caraudiomag.com.

Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-D1720C 6.75-Inch D-Series 280-Watt Speaker Package: Electronics

http://caraudiomag.com/articles/top-10-speakers

The speakers referenced in the article are the TS-D720C components. They're identical. The difference is the factory warranty when buying from an authorized dealer. The 720C gets 2 years and the 1720 only gets 1. Neither of which are in production anymore so you'd have to buy from an unauthorized dealer. As far as the subs go, if JL made a dual 2 ohm version of the W6, you'd be able to run them no problem with your amp. Your issue comes into you needing 1200 RMS @ either 1 or 4 ohms with a 2 dual 4 ohm subs. Your wiring options for those subs are going to be all parallel which will give you a 1 ohm load and your amp isn't stable there, a mix of series parallel for a 4 ohm load, or all series for a 16 ohm load. The SQ would be great wired at 16 ohms but you're going to be giving them little to no power at that high of an impedance. The W3s are single 4 ohm subs which you can easily wire to a 2 ohm load for maximum efficiency from the amp. Technically, you could wire up to 8 ohms as well if you'd like more SQ and better dampening from the amp. A pair of W3 12s will want about 1000 RMS depending on their enclosure. If you go to a smaller sealed enclosure, like the eBay enclosure, you might be able to give them all 1200 RMS the amp has. If you do a larger sealed or any size ported box, I don't think they'd like too much more than 900-1000 RMS. Optimum box size for the W3 12 is going to be 1.13 cubes sealed or about 1.75 cubes ported. Those volumes are before the displacement of the sub. On second thought, you probably would only be able to give the subs about 1000 RMS in the eBay enclosure because that's about 1.25 cubes per sub which is slightly larger than the recommended volume.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.