Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eventually I'll re-upholster it and paint the plastic bits to better match the rest of the interior, but I love the way it feels. It's slightly smaller in diameter than the original (15" vs 15-3/8"), no more "flash-bang" airbag, and the leather feels amazing in the hands compared to the original.

It has the same distance from the steering column. Pretty much fit right in, though I needed to sand down the back of the rear collar to shorten it a bit so it wouldn't rub against the steering column.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep! I just took it for a long drive and I'm in love with it. Comfy, ridgid, just the right diameter. Makes the original wheel feel like vinyl crap by comparison. I can almost pretend I'm driving a large, floaty Grand National 😂

·
Registered
1994 Eagle Chevrolet Caprice Alternative Hearse
20 Posts
Not really a fan of deleting air bags but I respect those that do.
When I had my Roady wagon the cheap plastic horn buttons were always a source of aggravation and a non working horn.
Love the look.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm of two minds when it comes to deleting airbags. With the "recent" Takata airbag recalls and tragedies, I just don't know what to think anymore. I have a history of building my daily drivers from scratch, and that often means installing airbags that have no documented history. It's impossible to know if they came off cars that had a recall. That means my main daily driver may or may not be a rolling death trap, despite the fact that I went to great lengths to retain all the factory safety and emissions features on it.

Right now, my wife is driving around in a car (that we bought brand new in 2012) that has one of those airbag recalls pending, and there isn't enough inventory available yet to perform the recall. That's terrifying. Especially after news of the horrible death last week caused by one of those airbags.

Granted, I don't think the airbag on a '93 Roadmaster falls into that category. But instead, it falls into the category of first-generation high-force deployment bags that are documented to be as likely to cause injuries as prevent them. I'm absolutely not a fan of those. Plus, they're not available new anymore. Only used from really, really old cars. Who knows how reliable or safe their deployment mechanism is at this point?

Right up until at least 1998, airbags were still optional on many vehicles and not required by law. If I wanted to be driving the safest cars around, I'd be driving a modern car that has airbags on all surfaces for all occupants. But I'm not, I'm driving a 29 year old car that came with a single, not-terribly-useful gas bag attached to the steering wheel. In this case, I feel absolutely zero concern about removing it, and actually kinda relieved. Wearing my seatbelt is a much more important safety feature, and I always have that on. I'll likely repurpose the airbag wiring to add steering wheel buttons, which are a much better way to improve the safety of the car and all its occupants.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts