Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a six speed conversion in the drivetrain section and Ineed a stronger pressure plate/throw out bearing combo since I've gone through two throw out bearings and they start rattling on the pressure plate. any suggestions on this?

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
It sounds like you have got an issue with the clutch fork engagement or it maybe bent or the clutch fork pin could be all AFU, there shouldn't be a reason for you to go through that many, pretty much all manufacturers are the same style, you aren't going to find anything really different in that light.
Not really any help but you have got something underlying. On the throw out bearings are you noticing any scoring on them or any material missing? There are members on here that have a lot of miles on the swaps without issues.

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
going to have someone take a look at it next week with me but another thing that was weird to me and idk if it is the way it works with the t56 transmission or not. i can start, and have been, starting it without pushing in the clutch. will this mess it up as far as the bearing goes/give problems in that area?

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Sicky..

starting the car without pushing in the clutch should not have any negative effect of TO bearing.....just a "safety" issue if car was in gear when you do start it. That is why a "neutral safty switch" is installed on "factory" stick cars.

Not sure what system you have (F2B or BBHP) but on BBHP there is a provision to mount the GM safty switch, assume the same on F2B.

regarding your issue with killing throw out bearings...like Mike said something is FU. Possible bent clutch fork, bent fork ball stud or loose.

If you have a habbit of resting your foot on clutch pedal while driving in gear...don't do that.

as the clutch pedal travels..where does it engage/disengage?

about midway or??

when your clutch is installed with tranny in does the clutch fork line up like in pic below???

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
like i said i got to look underneath it and yah i havea big problem with riding with my foot on the clutch

and as far as the as "the clutch pedal travels..where does it engage/disengage?" not sure what you mean but if i what i am thinking what you mean is what i think then i believe it is about midway it engages/disengages but not terribly sure

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Not sure what system you have (F2B or BBHP) but on BBHP there is a provision to mount the GM safty switch, assume the same on F2B.
BBHP however provided no provision to mount a cruise control interrupt switch on the clutch pedal that a stick shift car should have...BBHP leaves the stock brake pedal, so the brake light and cruise switches on that pedal remain untouched...F2B uses OEM pedals, so all the appropriate switches (neutral safety and cruise interrupt on the clutch as well as brake lights and cruise interrupt on the brake pedal) fit as well.

Have you checked the pivot for the clutch fork? If it's loose it could be letting the fork move, which could be putting strange loads on the TO bearing.

Also, have you verified that the fork is indeed not bent or damaged in any other way?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
yah i havea big problem with riding with my foot on the clutch
This is probably the culprit. Riding with your foot on the clutch is contantly putting load on the throwout bearing, essentially always making it work...this will kill it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:
found out the whole clutch has a lifetime warranty so swapping it out this week. and then at a later date i will be upgrading it to the hydraulic throw out bearing.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
UPDATE:
found out the whole clutch has a lifetime warranty so swapping it out this week. and then at a later date i will be upgrading it to the hydraulic throw out bearing.
That is good to hear, with the new clutch KEEP YOUR FOOT OFF OF IT UNTIL YOU SHIFT!!!! and see if your problems go away LOL!!

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
new update and hopefully fixed:
SCENARIO:put in new throw out bearing, pressure plate kit. flattened the flywheel and all that good stuff.

OUTPUT: OMG sounds beautiful again and the clutch is so smooth now.

CULPRIT: the pressure plate was only hitting the flywheel in one spot so it wasn't put back right or the flywheel need flattened the last time it was put on.

Thanks for the help guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts