Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 wagon battery works good, but is 5 years old,I drive very every day with never trouble. But my wife can't walk she's 75, so I can't get stuck ever.I think its best to replace it....What I know about battery is something like 2 companys make them for every retailer who glue there own lables on. you can pay double for the same battery the difference being the label...I see Walmart sells 5 number 75 size,all under $97. I see other companys sell 5 models some over $200. who knows how to tell you long lasting ones ? Oldhead PS: I know testing can tell how strong they are but I think a cell can short out anyway

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I have to agree with Grandpa. Group 78 is a better choice. I have had good service using Wal Mart Everstart MAXX batteries. If there is any problem they have always been taken care of. Replacement was done easily. That was even due to me not starting the car in over a year. I took it in they checked it and then brought out another new battery. Wal Marts are easy to find too. That being said, I intend to get an AGM for my car when I get another battery. I understand that you're in your 80s and that your wife has difficulties. I know money is tight but a good battery is something that will help keep you two from being stranded somewhere.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
, I intend to get an AGM for my car when I get another battery. Mark: Snowman-33
FWIW I have had 2 AGM batteries. AC Delco & Diehard. Neither lasted as long as a standard battery. Typically I was getting 6+ years from a regular battery and under 5 years on a AGM. My SS typically gets driven once a week but sometimes can sit for 2-3 weeks in winter months. I think for a DD either type would last longer but for me the standard types have lasted longer

IIRC Penn & Johnson Control make most of the batteries

OP, nothing wrong with being proactive and replacing a battery before it dies potentially leaving you, or a loved one, stuck somewhere. Yeah you may get another 6 mo to a year out of a 4+ year old battery, especially if it is a DD, but you will pay the same $ today as you will later but have the convenience of uninterrupted schedule due to a fail battery.

Find a store with the best $ and "replacement" warranty

Get a 78 series battery

Also if the battery cables are original, replace them with a set of Gary's cables. Innovative Wiring LLC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts