Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new steering box and like NAPA parts.

anyone know if this is the correct box for my 96 SS?

PS 391110

thanks

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any Idea where i can get the correct one?

Any Idea where i can get the correct one?

·
Registered
11,032 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
NAPA says it carries both the slow and quick ratio.

Part Number: NSP 88278113 is the quick ratio. The one thing to watch is that the rebuild is in fact a fast ratio box. When you pick it up count the turns full right to left. it should be 2.5 turns. Because they are interchangeable I have seen them put either in the box. Also make sure the box is centered before installing.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
You also have to check the arc that the output shaft makes. The internal stops can be changed and appear to be the close ratio box, when in fact, the steering arc is compromised.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
You also have to check the arc that the output shaft makes. The internal stops can be changed and appear to be the close ratio box, when in fact, the steering arc is compromised.
Fred, I have never seen a re builder go through the trouble to change the gear to make it look like a fast ratio box, but I doubt the gears would mesh without binding. The stops are on the gears. You in theory could grind the stops of a fast ratio to make it look slow but the box would turn the wheels way too far. To me it's a non issue.

If you have done this please give me some hints. I have rebuilt boxes before but never heard of this actually being done.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
can't speak from personal experience on the NAPA part, but I would suspect they are a very good alternative. It doesnt answer you question but when I installed my replacement box, I went to AdvanceAutoParts and ordered one from them. With the BIG35 Discount code I got it for less than $100 and have been happy with it.

Pretty sure the brand they carried at the time was Fenco, but now their site list something different. At the time they showed 2 units for a Caprice, 1 standard and the other for Police Vehicles (9C1) which was the quick ratio and the 1 I bought. But as others have said, be sure to check the amount of travel on the box to confirm what you got.

Also be aware that the Pitman Arm takes some serious Torque numbers. IIRC - it was in the 185 Ft. Pounds range and my Torque Wrench only went to 150.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
If I remember correctly, the regular caprice & the Impala had different pitman arm splines so they are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
There are a couple of different Pittman arm lengths, but the splines are all the same. The box does not come with the arm, so it will have to be transferred to the new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts