Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front pads (NAPA TruStops) just hit the wear indicator this weekend so I replaced them with Performance Friction Carbon Metallics(Non Z-Rated)

They had about 15k on them. maybe 2k since the stealth-bolt mod. They had just touched the wear indicator and the outer pads had a good 1/8" left, the inner pads having twice that. I've never really abused them, beyond Houston traffic that is(No autoX or road racing...yet.
They dusted pretty heavily and did not seem to bite as well as the PFs do now. They were quiet though, and seem to have been easy on the rotors.

Considering that PFs are only $10 more, I'd say PFs are a no-brainer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If the pads wore that unevenly, it is a sign that your calipers are NOT floating properly!

Did you inspect/refurbish/replace the caliper slide pins and bushings when you changed the brakes?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did my usual which has worked in the past. I pulled the slider bushings out, cleaned them and the receptacle part on the caliper out, also cleaned the bolts/pins. Then I freshened the bushings and the pins with a wire wheel and polished them with a cloth wheel. I then very lightly greased the bushings and the tips of the pins with Mobil 1 grease. Everything slid in place nicely. I too, thought that was uneven, but was not sure.

Thanks Ed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All good until you hit the "Grease" part.

You need to use caliper slide pin grease. It's available from the parts store, usually a couple bucks for a packet that is enough to do both front calipers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.