Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the Bilsteins are great, have them on my Vette, but I have always liked the ride of my Impala with the stock deCarbons.

So, what is the nearest "near stock-like" stock out there?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant, "near stock-like" SHOCK
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :rolleyes:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would go for something like the "floaty" Bilsteins (1516/1517) or maybe a Monroe Sensatrac.

You'll give up some handling compared to what is possible, but ride will be smoother

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've gone from the DeCarbons to the "soft" Bilsteins. They're not really much softer than the DeCarbons IMO and they do add control on the local roads. Maybe in areas of the country where there is really no Winter stiff springs and shocks work well but where I am the roads are rough and the stock suspension is too stiff to keep the tires on the ground. No Botts Dots here, the snowplows would shave them off. I'm doing heads, cam, control arms, headers, and sway bars this Spring and when I get that sorted out I'm going to look into dual or progressive rate springs for our cars. I'm thinking an inch or inch and a half travel at the Caprice rate and the rest at the SS rate. This is obviously for local conditions because it's disheartening to see a little GEO blast past me on a washboard dirt road.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shocks ? Koni makes shocks for the Impala SS. The yellow fully adjustable ones. I've had them on 2 cars and now 2 trucks and I sware they turn every car or truck I put them on like a slot car. Of coarse I've always had them adjusted to the firmest setting. They also make a red shack that is not adjustable. The fully adjustable shocks are right at $91.00! LOL

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Konis for $91 each are the red "single adjustables". And to adjust them, you have to remove them from the car.

How do I know? I have them :D

Even on the softest setting, they will probably be too firm for what DMark is looking for here.

I am not sure if any double adjustables (yellow Konis) are available for our cars or not. And even if they are, be prepared to pay about $400-500....PER SHOCK! :eek: :eek:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I'll most likely go with something on the soft side since the Impala has been my longhaul interstate car for the past 7 years.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Edelbrock IAS. I have them on both of my cars and have had good luck w/them. Others have not but mostly because of lowered vehicles. I think Edelbrock has gotten that sorted out though. Just another option. ;)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the KYBs on my Caprice. They have a set for the Caprice and a set for the TAXI CAB (probably stiffer) and they only cost 109 bucks for all four. I have been pleased with mine, but I have also added the body bushings.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couple notes :

1. I have yet to meet anyone who ran the IAS shocks for a length of time that DIDN'T have at least 1 of them leak! There seems to be a quality control issue there that Edelbrock hasn't fixed yet. And this includes some stock height vehicles as well : the "lowered vehicle" excuse from Edelbrock was what you call Bovine Scatatology (aka BS)
. Some folks have had great luck getting Edelbrock to fix it (replace under warranty), others have not.

If you're interested in that "type" of shock, I'd look into the Monroe Sensatracs or GT Shocks. Their track record with respect to leaks is better.

2. The KYBs work great.....for a little while. Issue is that you'll be lucky to see 20K miles out of them. If you don't mind swapping shocks that often (and essentially doing your shocks on the "payment plan" every couple of years), then the KYBs are definitely attractively priced

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have over 20K on my KYB's an no leaks at all, Lowered with H&R's, I love them, I went through a few sets of shocks before these, and the KYB's are the best.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you like to experiment with settings, you can go from very soft, willowy and boat like, to almost solid rock hard with the HAL shocks. (12 settings)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Uh, if you want near-stock shocks, I'd really have to recommend the stock shocks (which are about as expensive as premium aftermarket shocks). The Monroes, quite frankly, are terrible and are best used as a paperweight (since they don't often leak, but they don't feel like they're filled with oil, either).

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm using the Monroe Sensatracs and am pleased with them, but I will probably go with the soft Bilteins in the future. I like the soft ride of the Monroes and 99% of the time they have enough control, but when you start driving fast on a backroad they feel underdamped.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went with the Monroe shocks, 5906ST & 5966ST. $75 total after the rebate at Advance Auto. They ride well, feed just like the stock deCarbons. I'm pleased.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments.

DMark

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have had the Sensatraks (9c1 application) for 40K miles and so far, no leaks.I am happy with them.Got them at the local Kmart for around $25 each and they installed the rears for $10 per side.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Decided I'd do an update on this one. Just put my second set of Sensatracs in. Courtesy of Oreilly's(lifetime warranty), I got a free set and had them installed for $60.

After watching them play with the rears, I think I got my money's worth, bigtime...

I had about 40k on them and they were starting to get a little too floaty at stupid speeds. The new ones have eliminated the floatiness, and, suprisingly, the ride is actually smoother. It soaks up the sharp bumps better. Turn-in is sharper and "emergency evasion" manuever(hard lane change and hard back) is a bit better controlled.

I know that there are better shocks out there, but not for $20 each...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne Bengston:
After watching them play with the rears, I think I got my money's worth, bigtime...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a hell of a time getting my stock shocks out last year...but I just took my HAL's out to be rebuilt a week ago and I think I figured out the trick to do it...once I figured out the way to get the rears out I found it was actually quite easy.

You'll find that with stiffer shocks (to a point) that the ride is better...thats why the new shocks make it ride better...usually when you go to stiffer springs you need to match them with stiffer shocks as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts