Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- Hi all! Was a member up to ~six years ago, when my '95 RM got killed. "Ahh, I see yer old Buick finally died!"

No, it got killed. Rear-ended by a taxi, no less - and the insurance didn't even pay the sales tax on the 2008 Jeep I replaced it with. So not imagining I'd be so lucky as to ever own another RM, especially the wagon I'd always wanted, I drifted away from the board, and I see my old username has been deleted - I was ZX John.

So anyways, two weeks ago I scheduled some work on that same 2008 Jeep, and my mechanic sez "Hey, I was just thinking about you - somebody's selling a Roadmaster somewhere around here." The rest, as they say, is history :love: '96, woodgrain-delete, cloth interior, ~110,000 miles - bought originally by a funeral home, so the side and backdoor windows are heavily smoked. Sadly, driven in the salt the last six-or-so years; it's gonna' need stuff - but it's my good-time car, and I intend that it never sees snow again. My first priorities for it are, get the A/C working, alignment, new springs and shocks, get the driver's seat tilt working and then get it to recognise all my old '95 key fobs.

Notably in this case, it needs a windshield - a rock chip right in the centre of vision was chip-sealed, and it has gone bad, milky-white, about an inch across - you can just see it in the photo. I asked my glass-place lady, "can anything be done with that, other than replace the windshield?" No - of course not. So I told her to order a new windshield, and she phones me back today with the news that there isn't one in Canada.

Does anybody know an outfit in the 'States that would ship a windshield up here? I'm also looking for the little cable that runs between the seatback tilt mechanism and the motor on the driver's seat. The guy who sold it to me is 6'4", and had to drive it with the seat tilted 'way back, and my whole body hates the angle.

Thanks, and SO glad to be back!

Black Bubba.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,889 Posts
Welcome, where in Canada?
While you likely will never find a Sungate ,
I am surprised your supplier cant find a aftermarket regular windshield.

" not in Canada" ,not like every windshield here didn't come across the border at one point.

While just because it is listed it does not mean you can get it but the GM online places show
10284359 as still available.
Example

·
Registered
418 Posts
Glad your mechanic was thinking of you!
The little cable, sounds like you are referring to #14 (same as #45) below: P/n 12509882, Cable Front Seat Back Reclining. Not available new, but it is the same either side, any RM/Fleetwood 92-96. Was your old car crushed, or is it in a junkyard nearby?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly, I have no idea where it ended-up; could've been crushed and gone long ago. I'd love to find it if it's still around - want the rear swaybar and the Accel optispark. The back of the driver's seat collapsed during the rear-end, but that likely didn't affect the cable - and the passenger's seat suffered no damage that I know of. Also like to have the rear seat bottom, there's a cigarette burn on mine :(

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
147 Posts
Welcome back, nice find.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
I have a seat back actuating shaft. I would like $25 plus shipping for it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Welcome back! Beautiful Wagon!

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,657 Posts
I may be able to get a windshield from my local yard, but I'm not sure what kind of cost we would be looking at as far as shipping, etc.

I also have a Fleetwood parts car I could pull the seat thingy from.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I phoned a western Canada chain and they had no stock but offered to get me one. As 95wagon suggested most are made in china.

·
Premium Member
5,889 Posts
I did not suggest where in the world a replacement windshield was made, just that likely not in Canada.
This suggesting just about any supplier here would have to bring in, likely from US , no matter its origin.
10 times the people and likely at least 10 times the market south of the 49th.

The GM number , I checked, NLA .
Jobber, my supplier same deal, none in Canada and said they would have to go US.

OP , I would suggest trying to get a Canadian glass chain to search one out.
This way if it shows up in pieces, not your problem.
Recently got two Pontiac G8 windshields.
Taiwan- Australia- USA- Canada, two out of three made it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks much, all - located.

My "glass lady" is an independent; she lives right here so I support her whenever possible. But since she couldn't get one, I went to a "chain", and they have them in two warehouses in eastern Canada. The car is currently awaiting work at my mechanic's - it goes to the "chain" next.

I also found the Weather-Tech version of Vent Visors for it; sadly, Vent Visor no longer lists the car. { - Edit - } - I got the Weather-Tech ref off the Board - thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
For anyone still looking, there's a guy in south FL that has one. He's a raging dickhead (already bought something from him), but he does have the parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings, good friend from the North!

Also for anyone still looking:

Good news: I have a Sungate out of a '95 version of your car; RMW with woodgrain delete and tinted windows. Was a flower car for a funeral home. I am currently parting it out.

Bad News: I am in New Hampshire, so shipping could get interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Bad News: I am in New Hampshire, so shipping could get interested."

- If I was doing it, I'd love an excuse to drive down to NH, get it installed and then head back - no muss no fuss! But the border's still closed... :(

Yeah, mine was a flower car too :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts