Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buy a 95 caprice it's bagged lays frame on 22s c notched extended a arms tubed out in the trunk and under the hood. I feel confident in the car itself but I live in California and the car is in Flordia. Shipping gonna be around $950 but to register it in CA they want it to pass smog here and take car to DMV to do safety check I guess they said. The impala also has a billet steering wheel. What do they look for in these tests anyone ha experience shipping a car to Cali and dealing with it. I can get it smogged for a price I know but what about the DMV safety inspection? Any help or advice thanks

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
You may have to put an original steering wheel with an airbag on it. If you can get the SIR light to flash like it does when it has an airbag, you may get away with it as is. The way to get it to flash is to put a 10 watt 2 ohm resistor or combination of resistors that make up that value across the yellow leads under the dash. It may already have that mod in place if the SIR light flashes.

As long as the car is mechanically sound, I do not see how the safety inspection can find fault. You need the seatbelts, and other systems working correctly, or appearing to work correctly. I do not know if they will make you work the lift bag system, and if you can drive it in at a normal height they may not question it.

As far as smog, you may have to put a California legal set of cats on it. The cats used in FL are not the same as California cats.

I am not from California, but I have read a number of threads from California members and their issues. I am sure the inspectors will tell you if there are any changes you have to make for legalizing the car.

You could move out of California to a more car friendly state, and you would not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
We are moving to Las Vega NV in August. What if I bought it now an just waited to register it untill I got to Nevada?? Would that work?
That sounds like a good idea. As long as you do not get in trouble for storing it, you should be OK. You could even put your other car's tag on it to transport it to Nevada, and be really careful when driving, or get a temp tag from Nevada when you move. If you can show that you have owned it for six months before registering it, you may not have to pay sales tax on the transfer. I pulled that stunt here in FL. Saved me $140.

Lights can be fixed if you know what is causing them. The SIR is probably what I stated earlier. The Antilocks may be a(some) yellow connector(s) like the ones on the wheelhouses. They get really brittle, and literally fall apart. You can get replacement pigtails at any parts store, and patch them in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks for re advice... I'm still thinking about it. Never bought a car from a different state and do t want to get it here and I can't register it! Also buying a car without driving it! Is the heat of vegas gonna play a huge part in parts breaking with it bagged?

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
Florida is just as hard on parts. You should be OK with the heat issue. Most rubber parts that are not in the sun tend to do fine. If the car is near someone on the forum, you could have them inspect it and drive it for you. At least you would get a report. Another option is to have a respected shop drive it and inspect it for you, and a local forum member could set the deal up for you. Where is the car?

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
You should put your request in the wanted/for sale section.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I don't know, man. Sounds like this car has a lot of issues you will need to deal with just to get tags and drive it legally. If you are moving to Vegas I'd check their smog laws too. That's not even considering other mechanical problems you may not be aware of without inspecting it yourself and driving it for awhile. I would not buy a car w/o feeling "right" about it and knowing what I'm really getting. Time/research + $ = bummer.

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
I bought my red wagon without seeing it. It depends on how much you are paying for it. I probably could have purchased one and done the same things to it for a similar amount of money I have in it. It did not have quite the list of goodies it was supposed to have. The issues I had were relatively simple to fix, but did require some observations to determine the problems. I ended up doing a good bit more than was necessary, because I did not find the real issues until I had already done a number of things to fix the issues before I found the real ones. That is why I suggested getting a fellow member to check it out/have it checked out in FL. Having a member take it to a mechanic (you would pay for the inspection) would be best, because you get a paid 3rd party to give you a report (do not have the seller get the report, it may be tainted. If everything is good, you might even fly in, and pick it up to drive home. The cost will be about the same or less than shipping it. You should be able to make it back in 3-4 days, and maybe you can locate some members on the forum along the way to allow you to couch surf your way home. For 3000 miles of driving at 20 MPG it will take 150 gallons of gas, and $3.40 a gallon is about $500. Price a one way plane ticket, and you will probably be $300 to the good. If you couch surf, $0, and you are going to eat anyway, so that does not count. If you are going to drive long distance, eat light, and drink coffee. I have done some long distance driving, and I like to drive at night if possible, because of the traffic during the day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.