Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I would like to install a souns system in my 96 DCM. Has anyone done any SUB install that takes the least amount of space and or has anyone tryed a FREEAIR type sub setup?

I would like to see some Sub setups so If you have a sitre or some pictures please send em my way.

Thanx

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No pictures of it, but I've got a pair of Jl Audio 10" freeairs mounted in a baffle board behind the spare tire in my trunk... sounds great and takes up zero usable space.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you check out the HOTSS site I bet you will find a bunch of cars with free-air subs. Scott (HACK) has done installs for a bunch of SS owners, and (if I reember correctly) he's a big advocate of the free-air setup.

Personally, when I get the $$ for a stereo upgrade, I'm going to get the shop to try their hardest to fit a 10" in a sealed box on either side of the spare, firing up through the 6x9 speaker holes (since they will no longer be there).

Another alternative is to put the subs in the empty spaces on the sides of the trunk right in front of the tail lights. A couple of guys on this forum have done that, and there are pictures floating around somewhere.

Good luck!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Askn,

I have four JL Audio IB4 10" free air subs mounted on a baffle behind my rear seat. They are powered by a JL Audio 500/1 amp mounted in one of the trunk kit compartments. Check my sig for a link to pictures. The trunk retains all of it's original usable space. Unless someone gets down and looks up behind my spare they are totally incognito. Actually both my amps are stealth too, mounted inside the trunk kit's storage compartments. They sound good n tight. If you are at Impalafest in Texas, I will crank it up for you to hear. I will be improving all the pix on the link below in the near future. Good Luck on your decisions/install!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SS'incognito & Knightshade

You both mentioned subs mounted on the baffle board. My question is the following?

Are the subs mounted directly on the baffle board or are they mounted to a plate that is mounted to the baffle board? From my experience the baffle board will keep from most of the sound from geting trough. I installed some 12" subs in the back dash of a beretta and they were awesome. Im either gonna do the same to keep all my trunk space and carry less weight. My other option is to build a bandpass box and port it in the middle of the dash.

Feedback?

Thanx

ALEMAN

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Phoenix Gold Titanuum Elite 12D subs are optimized for a 3/4 cubic foot box. This is about as small as you can get.

BUT (you knew there was a but :D ) they run $1000 a piece.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out my webpage located in my sig, or if you want, check out the topic I started showing my improved speaker box setup entitled "Check out these boxes." I am thinking about selling them to interested parties.

Thanks,
TOM B

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check out my webpage located in my sig, or if you want, check out the topic I started showing my improved speaker box setup entitled "Check out these boxes." I am thinking about selling them to interested parties.

Thanks,
TOM B

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SS'incognito

That setup looks KIKAZ! :D I have never owned any JL subs. How would you rate em? I also noticed other people were running KIKERS. Im not a big fan of stillwater but when it comes to freeair im kinda limited in choices. Who else makes Freeairs? I know PYLE made em one time but UI havent seen that brand arround and thats maybe because I live in a small town..

Those JLs look mean.

As soon as I put playtes on the BEASST the system is next...

Thanx for the pics.

SUPAMAN

I can open that link

ALEMAN

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aleman,

I run a lot of JL Audio equipment in my rides, so mine would be a biased opinion. The best thing to do is run a search on ‘ JL Audio ‘. There are lots of opinions and great stories/setups in the search results. You will get 43 hits, dating from July of 2000 through this thread. There is a lot of expert feedback from Scott Williams (Hack) who moderates this audio forum. That is the great thing about this forum, not only can you get up to minute updates and help on products, procedures, shows, etc…… it is also like the Library of Congress for any possible topic you can think of about a b-body. Be sure and post some pix after you get your system put in. I will be interested to see what you decided on. Run a search on ‘ free air ‘ too. This will get you feedback on different brands, 70 hits total.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My setup is only 2 of the IB4s (JL Audio 10" freeairs), running in parallel off a JL Audio 250/1 amp... I can't imagine how painfully loud 4 of em would be

The IB4s can be a little difficult to obtain (I had to have a local shop order em for me and it took a couple of weeks) but they're GREAT speakers. I had 2 or 3 "stereo guys" all tell me freeairs sound terrible, and all of em totally changed their tune when they heard my system after it was set up.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Knightshade

Do you hit LOWS with those subs?

What are they priced at?

D u have ur trunk sealed?

I have fabricated a baffleboard out of 3/4" industrial strenght particle board and I have it cut out for 4 10" subs. I only have 2 pioneer subs mounted and Im anticipating on purchasing 2 more.
The setup gives me ample bass, but wont hit the lows. Maybe when I hget the next 2 it will sound better.
Im running 1 Pioneer GMH 100 bridged which will putout like 300W at 4 ohms but my subs are each 8ohms. If I run them in series I should get a beter sound but will run the amp hotter. I have 3 of those amps and Im trying to make em last as they dont make em anymore.

ALEMAN

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dunno what you'd consider lows exactly... it's enough bass that people sitting in the back think the seats have massagers built in though.

These are installed with the rest of the HOTSS trunk kit... no sealing or anything else was done beyond the trunk kit itself.

I'm wanting to say they were around $100-120 each...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts