Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I think most of you are familiar with my car and the on-going paint project. I'm at the point where I have my car back, but it has some flaws in the paint. What should I do...?? Do I take it back to the guy who did the work (over 5 months, I might add) so he can fix his mistakes, or do I just cut my losses and get it fixed later by someone else?

So far I've only paid $500, but he's been slow and unreliable. He said he wired up the electric fans, but they kept blowing the relay. In reality, all he did was install the fans, but not the wiring harness, so that probably had something to do with the malfuctions! :mad:

I bought 6 rolls of tint for him to do the windows, but he keeps messing up and ruining the film, and says "Yeah, I owe you a roll." The only window that has tint on it is the rear passenger side long window. :rolleyes:

There are several errors in the paint, mainly the hood, which will have to be completely redone. My wife (the biggest non-supporter of my car) says cut my losses, don't pay him the rest of what I "owe" (we originally agreed on "around $1000" for the entire job), and take it elsewhere.

There is a local place called Ding & Dent which does paintless dent removal, as well as body work, and I've used them in the past for another car. They are reliable and do good work. I think I'll get an estimate from them at lunch today.

Your thoughts, please? Am I being an ass to this guy, or am I justifiable in my didain for his 5-months of "work?"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
KICK HIS ASS SEABASS!

I'd never call him again and go see shop #2...if he has the nerve to call to ask for his $, give him an earfull! if he doesn't call, he knows he did a poor job!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, you have learned a hard lesson. This lesson is true no matter where you go and no matter what the situation. You get what you pay for! If you want a perfect $4,000+ paint job, you need to pay $4,000+. From looking at the pics of your car from previous posts ( original post ) and looking at it now ( newest pics ) I would say you got a heck of a deal. I mean wow! Dewoodie, fill holes, and paint for $500! Now to answer your question, if you believe that the guy does not have the competence to complete the job to your satisfaction, then take it to someone else. But remember, you shouldn't have too high of expectations for a $1,000 dewoodie and paint job. If I were you, I would take the car to a reputable window tint shop, let them tint the windows. As far as the paint goes, the car looks like an awesome cruiser now. If you want more than simply a nice looking daily driver wagon then I would take the car to another paint and body shop. But be prepared to what they might say. They may tell you that they want to strip the whole car and start over from scratch. Not trying to upset you here, but telling it like I see it. Good Luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, Alan, you are not upsetting me, and I know (now) that you are absolutely right. I appreciate your candor!

Thank you for the continued advice!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree... for what you paid.... you got a hell of a deal!!!!! Im sure by the time it was done he had close to $500 in materials alone. Suck it up and be glad you got done what you did, no matter how long it took and take it to a window tint place to have the windows done. Around here you can get them done in a wagon for about $200, not bad at all. Later on if ya feel like it take it to a "real" body shop and let them touch it up. It looks great, I cant get my paint guy to even think about doing the same to my DGGM for less than $3000 and we are pretty good friends.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if you got or deal or not, and I don't think it is my place to say. But I do believe that we are (or should be) all adults here so if you have a problem with the job and you think it is not going ot be resolved by this guy go talk to him. Present your case, you took 5 months, it looks bad etc etc whatever. If you feel like you shouldn't pay him more tell him that, if he says you should try to reach a comprimise with the guy. Just my .02 but I at least think you should be straight up with the guy, even though it isn't fun to do it.
Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Overspray. I forgot to mention the overspray. There was a little on the coolant resivoir. No biggie. But then there was also overspray on MY WHEELS!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

And not just on the wheels. All the rear light bulbs, as well as those in the front turn lamps. Yes, overspray on the LIGHT BULBS. I know it's only a few bucks to replace every bulb, but come on. LIGHT BULBS!!!! Tells you about the quality.

Nick, you are right, I should be a man about it and own up to him and give him one last chance (again -- for the 3rd time) the opportunity to fix his mistakes. But to tell you the type of person he is.....I was supposed to drop the car off this past Friday for him to start working on it (again). I didn't take it to him b/c Booth9C1SS was coming from out of town to help do some electrical work on my car.

Did Paint Guy ever call? All weekend? No. Never called to ask how come I didn't bring my car. Does he care? Does he ever call me? No.

I always had to call him. :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IMHO You got to be crazy to take it back to him. It's just going to give you an ulcer. Face he doesn't care if the paints right or not and if you give him any money you better also be giving him a bill for the cleanup: bulbs tires-rims and repair to the paint job that he screwed up. Take it to the second place at least you know the quality of the work you're going to get...figure it this way you lucked out to an extent by getting all the dings -prep work and most of the painting for 500 bucks- which is way cheap. Now pay the rest to somebody who can finish it right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree. Think of the $500 as the body prep. If you bring it back, who knows what further damage he will cause? Besides the major flaws in the paint, you are already looking at:
</font>
  • Cleaning up your wheels (if you're lucky, the paint will just come off. Otherwise, it's time to strip and re-clear the rims... price this out at you local dealer and present it to your painter)</font>
  • Getting the masking tape residue off the window trim. It's has five month to sit there and bake on. Even the blue masking tape sold especially for this purpose it's designed to last that long!</font>
  • The tint still isn't done. and from what i saw on th eone window that was done, he shouldn't do any more.</font>
  • He didn't wire in your fans. I was supprised they didn't fall out. He did successfuly put the bottom clip on the tab, but he only installed one of the two bolts on one fan and neither of the two on the other.</font>
  • you are missing bolts everywhere: You coolant tank had 1 of 3, right headlight had 3/4, left headlight had 2/4, I already mentioned the fans, no battery tray bolt (holds down battery).</font>
DO NOT LET HIM TOUCH YOUR CAR AGAIN!!!

Of course, this is only my opinion ;)

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jon -

I'm pretty much in agreement with the general tone of the thread here. You should take the car elsewhere. I have followed your posts on the progress of this project. Another way of thinking on this is placing a value on the frustration that the whole affair has caused you. You have gotten a fair amount of work out of this guy, but it has been sloppy and slow. Do you want to sign up for more?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I took a day to sleep on it and get opinions from elsewhere, as well, and the overwhelming concensus is "fugettaboutit."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look at it this way.....most shops would have charged at least the $500 to just fix up the 88 little problems left after de-wooding

.......you got the rest of the car prepped and mostly painted too, so you're ahead of the game.

I've learned over the years ....that with any kind of contract work, at the first sign of B.S. going on I walk - no make that RUN

....things usually dont get better, usually they get alot worse and following your instincts is the best advice I can give.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.