Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace the clip that fits in the calipers in the rear that the pads ride on, I guess its for rattle supression.
GM only sells it with their pads for $105.00 :eek:. Any cheaper way?

Also when doing the rears I took out all the parking brake parts (shoes, pins, pistons) as they were messed up. I know that leaves me out in an emergency but any other problems with this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First, try talking to Baer, who is a major PBR importer, and see if they can help.

I am now trying to salvage some of these pieces from some backing plates I have, but I am reluctant to let them go for now.

You are right that the pieces only come in the GM kit--imported from Australia.

It won't hurt anything to not have the parts in place--just hope you don't need the brake. GM doesn't call it an emergency brake, FWIW, and probably for good reason.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FWIW - I believe the little Stainless "H"
Clips in the PBR calipers are there to provide a tougher surface for the pads anti-rattle springs to ride against- I think without them these springs would wear into the softer aluminum calipers.
I just finished swapping out my 3rd set of rear pads at 91K and also noticed some wear on the steel caliper brackets where the brake pads ride - I think I'll be buying new brackets for the next pad change!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought PepBoys kit for about $6 and these were included. I think they call it a hardware kit.
BTW, Their front hardware kit is about $3 and comes with all the o-rings and sliders

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Hardware kit for the rear calipers from Auto Zone is special order and expensive. Made in China for $14.9x. P/N H5874 comes with parts for both rear calipers- 2 SS 'H', 4 rubber cups, 4 cal. pin bolts with 13mm heads. Stock bolts have 15mm heads. Note- the Dorman 619-001 cal.bracket does not come with the SS 'H'. Of course, it does come with the rubber cups and cal. pins with bolts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow--an old thread back to life! A few more numbers for the kit:

Carlson H5625

Wagner H5617

Raybestos H5631

The "H"-shaped (stainless steel) part is called an anti-rattle clip or spring, I think, as someone else described it.

FWIW, the factory pad set, 18021521, $51.84 (cost), only includes the "H" clip, I'm pretty sure. The hardware kits really become a bargain if they do in fact include new slide pins and boots, since the GM parts are $5.24 (pin) and $2.17 (boot) each! And, if you get the ACDelco Durastop version of the rear pads, 18038857, I'll wager that you will want to get the hardwware kit, since the "H" won't come in that pad package either.

This is way later, but Todd commented about the pad plates "digging in" to the caliper bracket. After so many years & miles, the brackets do present potential multiple problems, both the slider pins seizing and the wear on the pad abutment surface, so next time you have a chance, check yours if they are originals.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regarding the 'H' clip in the rear caliper. Do you put it in with the shorter legs of the 'H' toward the cal. piston? Studying my Haynes manual, it looks that way. However the H can also be installed with the longer legs toward the piston. Which is correct?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I installed my new 'Carlson' H-Clips the same way old ones were installed; short legs toward piston. Took for granted, this is correct!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rear Caliper H-Shape Anti-Rattle Clip Direction?

After carefully researching the rear brake caliper mechanism and Haynes manual, found that the "H" shape anti-rattle clip illustrated in Haynes manual was incorrect. In Haynes manual, the short side of “H” shape is toward caliper piston (inner-board).

The outer pad (toward wheel) is stationary and no movement relative to caliper; the inner pad (toward piston) is no movement relative to piston but freely moving in-and-out relative to caliper.

The brake “quite” glue on back side of the pad and the short-side of the “H” shape clip hold the outer pad position as no-movement relative to caliper.

The inner pad glue to piston and the long-side path of the “H” shape clip gives the inner pad free move in-and-out. When piston pushes out and inner pad against rotor, the caliper and outer pad move inward together via slide pins.

So, the long-side of the “H” shape clip toward piston is vital to the performance of the rear brakes.

Jesse
'96 Caprice LT1 9C1

Originally posted by LarryCigar:
I installed my new 'Carlson' H-Clips the same way old ones were installed; short legs toward piston. Took for granted, this is correct!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jesse, not to dispute info you've provided, but where/who did you reference, install direction of the "H" Clips?
Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Larry,

The reference is from brake caliper mechanical structure and "autopsy".

The mechanism of the rear brake caliper is very simple and straight forward, when you disassemble and perform an "autopsy", the debate about short or long-side will be clear.

When pads and rotor are new, there could be no difference between short and long-side direction of the "H" clip because the piston rearly moves out, but when the pads and rotor start wear, the piston move distance start get longer. If the short side of the "H" clip is toward piston, how can piston and inner pad move out further? They are blocked, deform the "H" clip is only way out!

"H" clip is very easy fall out when replacing rear pads, also "H" clip can be installed in either direction without obvious obstruct, that is why the SHORT/LONG question is brought attention while putting it back.

The sign of wrong direction of "H" clip is to check it is deformed or not. If the "H" clip is found being deformed while repalcing rear pads, the previous installation was wrong.

Jesse

Originally posted by LarryCigar:
Jesse, not to dispute info you've provided, but where/who did you reference, install direction of the "H" Clips?
Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jesse has it right--and does a great job of explaining why. Problems will arise if the clip is installed incorrectly.

The FSM does not even mention the clip--that I can find. Todd nailed it in his May '02 post (in this thread) as to the reason for their (the H clips) existence.

While I'm not able to post a picture, I'm sitting here looking at a new PBR rear caliper assembly, with pads and hardware in place, and the H-clip has its "long" legs placed toward the inboard/piston side.

Hope that is sufficient reference, Larry!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds good to me, Jesse & Bill. Thank you.
I should go down to car right now and take my Calipers off. I believe I installed my "H's" wrong. :mad:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you install the short legs towards the piston, the very top of the brake pad betweent he spring could catch on the cross bar of the H as the pad wears and the piston pushes the pad further over in the caliper. This could probably cause the H to bend or break and pop out, or it could cause the pad to tilt and wear crooked, which could also cause a problem with the piston down the road...and it could cause problems with the calipers releasing a bit due to the slide pin geometry and thus have a pedal that always seems to have too much dead travel. Short side out, long side towards the piston.

Also, every set of pads I've ever bought comes with the H-clips in the box.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone have a picture of the "H" clips as they're installed? I'm getting ready to do front and rear brakes but I don't recall seeing these clips in place.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FYI--The ACDelco DuraStop part number is 18K872 or 18038751. The ACDelco list price is around $10.00.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.