Discussion Starter #1
HAVE AN HA BAR ON THE FRONT OF MY '96SS. END
LINKS ARE WORN. ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET
A SET??

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i need the old style heim joint ends for an old ha bar too but nobody replied to me,is your the tie rod style??

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guys,

I'm doing some "research" on the HA tie-rod style link, and need some information. If you or anyone else reading this has a set of them, please contact me via e-mail.

Thanks.....

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR WEEKS TO LOCATE THIS PART AND HAVE HAD NO LUCK. YES, THEY ARE THE TIE ROD STYLE. IF YOU HEAR ANYTHING PLEASE POST. THANKS

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a set here ready to be installed, I contacted Bill off line to see what he needs to find were we can get these.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the info many have sought for quite some time--thanks for the help from Todd Stranczek and Clay Micheau:

Moog tie rod ends:

ES429RL female thread jobber price $13.19

ES401R male thread jobber price $18.73

ACDelco/GM (sourced from Spicer/Perfect Circle--from Dana)

ACD 45A0114 = GM 88909915 (equiv ES429RL) cost $11.19 (add 10%)

ACD 45A0081 = GM 88909948 (equiv ES401R) cost $16.12 "

Finally, after years of wondering what the answer was...Todd says it appears to him that these parts need slight modification (shortening of the 9/16" shaft/body) to equal the part supplied with the HA bar. Should be easy to do "at home".

You can get these parts from any GM dealer now, ordering with the GM 8-digit P/N's provided.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couple of questions, can these links be used on the 2nd gen f-body bar ?
They are solid connection for the bar, aren't they ?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No--the bar would have to be modified, and you would need the link "adapters" for the control arm, too. These links are only for the HA bar that was built to use these parts.
There were 2 versions of the HA bar--what HA sold direct and what used to be sold by Moroso, as I recall.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bill

Thank you for the info. You have saved me from having to replace a good bar.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bill . . Thanks for this important info . . Now one question: Do the Moog (or for that matter, the ACD/GM) parts come in an M2 variant that has full support for the ball in the socket, or is this just a standard part that has several "fingers" supporting the ball?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Howard,

I cannot answer with any satisfaction. There is no "T" variant of the Moog parts, but it is entirely possible that Moog has changed these parts to the "M2 technology", but the catalog does not distinguish--it is now old, and would not contain that kind of detail anyway, I don't believe. A call to Moog/FM tech would be in order to get the answer you seek: 800 325 8886.

As for the GM/ACD parts, they are sourced from Dana/Spicer/Perfect Circle, I'm pretty certain. I'm not certain how far they have taken the upgrades, but the parts I've looked at so far all have blue poly grease boots, but I don't know the story on the internal design. Reference is made in ACD catalog to "toll-free tech support", but I don't know if that is 1-800-ACDelco, or what. There is also online access at www.ACDelco.com/TechConnect but you may have to register on the site first to use it. I believe the ACD suspension line, based on the Dana/Spicer/Perfect Circle "Professional Grade" line, is something different than the Moog "standard" design.

May be that Glenn Miklos in Norfolk can help.

In the meantime, these links give some indication of the design of the parts that are now being offered by GM thru ACDelco--at least there is some significant similarity in the parts I've seen so far.
http://www.spicerchassis.com/
http://www.spicerchassis.com/crosssections.htm

I have no reason to buy these particular parts, so I can only suggest that someone who is looking to replace their HA sway bar links look into this further. Perhaps Dal would bring in the parts and bring them to St Louis for a look-see. These particular parts aren't that expensive, but those who are using the parts should seek the answer to the rest of your questions.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will the above posted parts work as replacements parts for all HA front bars or for only one or the other type of HA front bar?

As I understand it, the HA bars came with two styles of attaching systems. Heim joints or greasable tie-rod ends. Frankly, I don't know the difference between the two or whether the bars that used the two different types of attaching systems had different style ends, so that's what drives this question. If anybody can point me towards something that explains the difference between the two different types of attachments, that would be helpful. I did a search in the suspension forum on the words "Heim joint" and didn't see it covered. Thanks.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anybody? Bill? I'm thinking about buying an HA bar that is intended to use the Heim joint setup, but that doesn't have the Heim joints. Before I do, I'd like to know that these parts would work. Thanks.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Erik,

I'm really not fully up to speed on the variations of the HA bar. Since that bar came along before digital cameras were commonplace, there aren't many photos available--maybe someone will read this and put some up.

Anyway, its my understanding that there were 2 versions--one from HA directly, and one from Moroso, no longer available, which did use a Heim setup of some sort, with a mounting block that attached to the control arm. I don't know if the Heim link setup and the tie-rod end version are interchangeable as far as actually mounting the link.

Todd Stranczek has one of these bars and might be able to help you.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm using the same ha bar with spherical rod . Can somebody find out exact mesurements of those heim joint or spherical rod ( what thread size)? Here is the web page where you can get them but you need the thread size, bolt size etc.aurorabearing You can download or view the catalog, you will need acrobat reader it has about 68 pages.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can find the prts needed on pgs 28-32 and they're called male and female rod ends with studs. If you want you can use any rod end from their catalog but you have to specify that you want it with a stud (bolt). I hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts