Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my b4u finally died after 250.000 miles. I have had an LT1 motor at my friends garage waiting in the works. He said the motor came out of a vette that had mods to the motor,but it ran into a wall .at the track and the motor was salvaged. I can confirm its a LT1 and its from a vette. The motor is also 4-bolt mains with alumimun heads. But thats all I can confirm. I would like to confirm the cam profile,compression,ect of the stock base. So that I know what I'm working with. Can anyone help?
The casting numbers on the back of block is 101253327
The casting code on the block plate is V06234NT.
Please help!

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
Simple way to check is look at the drivers side of the block behind the cyl head. If its says 5.7, its an LT1.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
.....The casting numbers on the back of block is 101253327.....
From what you describe......it's a Corvette motor.......LT1 or LT4.....they use the same block.

FWIW.....I wouldn't use the cam from that engine in your car. Either use your current cam or use a cam similarly or slightly larger stock.

http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm

KW

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
The casting numbers on the back of block is 101253327

Please help!
Yup, that is definitely an LT1/LT4 casting number, that's about all I can tell you, I can remember it throwing me off seeing the 327 on it.

Doug

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help. But one question. I have had this motor for awhile and intended to build it for power than the stock LT1 that was in my b4u capala. Now that I have to install it what is the downside in using it as it is. It seems I have to re-tune my ecm for factory egr delete thats on the corvette motor. I will be replacing the rear gear to 3.73 also. But what is the downside of using the motor as it is in my capala. If its a loss in torque,then what suggestions in a cam can I use for more hp and torque using the current top and bottom end.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
With the caveats that I scanned and am no expert, I'll offer that the 3.73s will mitigate your vette cam torque inadequacies enough to try the motor as is if that's your preferred 1st option. KW's right in that SS cams are cut for like 10% more torque at the expense of a little max hp.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Corvette Motor as-is....

I wouldn't recommend using the Corvette motor as-is, in a 4300+ pound car.
The main reason, torque.
As far as the top (aluminum heads & valve train), I would think you would be ok.
The piece you will need to make sure you swap out, is the cam.
While you have the motor out, its a piece of cake to do.
You will be happy you did.
Its a bear to do when the motor is in the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts