Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a set of intrax spring that i want to put on my imp the problem is this the rear springs have bigger coils on one end and smaller ones on the other end right,what side coils sit on the rear end the smaller ones or the larger ones. any help please

thanks
tony

· Registered
854 Posts
All Caprice/Impala rear springs should be "pigtailed" at both ends. Meaning the spring is larger diameter in the middle, and winds down to a smaller diameter at both ends, which should be the same.

Take a pic of the rear springs you are planning on installing if you can. I'm a little confused by what you're asking exactly.

If you got them used, it's possible somebody cut one of the pigtailed ends off to have it ride even lower. In that case, put the big end up, and make sure it sits around the nipple thing on the frame.

It's not generally recommended to cut rear springs, but I cut mine and been running them hard for over a year with no issues. They can fall out when you jack the car up, or get airborne, so keep that in mind and be careful! Haha

· Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they were a used set what im trying to say is that the coils look a lil compress so there were more coils closer on one side than the other so im trying to think should the side with compres coils sit on the rear end or turn them up so that they can sit on the top nipple,im tryin to find a picture of them online but i cant cwm3

· Registered
41 Posts
Springs

I was told dense part of the coils up when i installed my Vogtlands....

· Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Those are variable rate springs, Hotchkis and many (if not all) the others use variable rate springs for the rear...not sure which way is up though, so I'm not a ton of help here.

· Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
854 Posts
I really can't see how it would matter, since the spring is gonna compress regardless. When I did my Vogtlands, there was a specific way supposedly, but I really don't remember which way it was, haha. They're easy enough to flip around if you find out you put them in the wrong way. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.