Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,I just bought some Impala SS wheels,for the wife's Old CC.what size & make of tire,should I put on?I like the 275's,cuz they are closer to the stock hieght.

275/50/17 or 255/50/15's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a lesson learned the hard way...

The 50's leave very little clearance between the tire and the quarter on the "skirted" wagons. In the event of a blowout, in my experience, you may (or at least I did) really screw up the quarter when the blown tire flaps into it at 70 mph. When I set up SS style wagons, I use 60's for that reason. However, if you can somehow make the Olds cladding look good with a full cut out wheel opening...

There's my two cents.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did this with my RMW, I decided on a Kumho Ecsta 711 255/55/17. They have been on for a month now and I love them. They are 28" tall, same as stock height. I choose the 711 because they rated well on tirerack and they were fairly inexpensive. Just thought I'd give you another option.

-Kris Gagnier

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Nitto 275/50/17s ride well on the wagon. I did have to use a come along on the wheel skirt to get myself more clearance on one side. The 275/50s also look much better on a wagon, plus they have a ton of load bearing margin compared to the 255/50s.
Those are the tires that I use in my tow-wagon.

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using 255/50/17 on mine. I have 8" wide, 5" B.S. wheels and have no rear clearance issues. I have a set of Michelin's that were designed for a SUV (higher load capacity). They were not cheap though at $249 each :eek: but I really like them alot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using stock Impala wheels & I dont want to modify the wells.So,I guess my best bet is the 255/55/17's.

Thanks for the info.,guys.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put Michelin LX4 245/60-17 on Impala SS wheels.

$142 each at Sam's. They look good and drive great. Extended load range, put 45# of air in and get 2 more mpg!

Same height as stock 225/75-15.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.