Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can give me an idea that might stop the dripping condensation in the passenger floor of my 95 RMW. Yes, I have the elbow on the snout that sticks out of the firewall. Yes, the pan is sealed with 3M strip caulk. The pan itself is not leaking but, somehow water seeps down the front of the pan above where the snout is and drips from the rubber onto the floor. I have had this pan off no less than 7 times and even changed it out for one in excellent condition with the same result each time. Today I made sure the part of the condenser just above where the leak is had plenty of rubber insulation all around it and was sure this would solve my problem. Wrong again. In the climate I live in it makes this problem worse because of the high humidity and high temps. If anyone has any constructive thoughts on how to fix this issue I would be greatly indebted. Thanks, Glenn

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe the elbow is cracked or loose? That might let the water run down the outside of the snout and back inside the car.
No, I have checked that as well. I am sure there is some logical explanation but, so far I can't figure it out. Thanks for post though.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
I hear the fresh air inlet plenum on the cowl can leak, which I think is a proglem to a small degree on my SS garage queen, but only when I wash it. Then, there's always a leaky windshield. But, you're describing issues during operation with the A/C. Both my cars' issues with condensation blowback were solved adding the elbow and tube.

Sorry.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But, you're describing issues during operation with the A/C.

Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is only happening when the A/C is on. If I understand correctly there is no recirculating mode on the Roadmaster, or is there? I've never owned a car that had A/C and didn't have a recirculating mode on the controls.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Are you absolutely sure that the outlet that passes through the firewall isn't clogged up?

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you absolutely sure that the outlet that passes through the firewall isn't clogged up?
Yes, it is open and most of the condensation is going out of the snout and down the tube outside of the car like it should. But, it still seeps moisture and drips inside the car.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I believe the manual AC systems have a recirculate mode.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm having the same problem, 94 caprice. I sealed around the tube, engine bay side and put a 4-5 inch hose on it. Pan was on correctly and no cracks. I can only suspect the small gap between the box and firewall where the tubes/pressure lines come in. There is foam there but perhaps not enough/or not a tight enough fit. Sweat dripping down off those lines. ?? I'm curious as to what other people found.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally got mine to stop dripping. I used part of a funnel and cut it and placed inside the pan to direct some of the moisture away from the outer edge of the pan. I thought it had to be seeping past the seal on the edge of the pan. Been a year and a half without any issues. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
The passage between the two chambers on mine was blocked by debris, and the separater for the channel was warped. I used a little heat and reshaped it. While I was at the reshaping of the channel divider, I made sure the rest of the pan in that area was not warped as well. Be careful with the heat if you try reshaping. The plastics on the car have a melting point just a few degrees above the softening point. BTW, there are at least 2 different shaped pans. One has an extended area at the exit tube. They are not interchangable.

Make sure you have not trapped anything between the top and bottom of the pan.

I filled the channel for the gasket with black (any color would work) silicone seal around the edge of the pan, and on the divider, as well as a circle around the top of the screw hole on the bottom left front where it meets the post (screw enters from the bottom). I have not had a leak since, and I did the same to both cars.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good info, thanks. someone broke a small corner off the other end of the bottom, nearest driver side. I've taped it up, ect ect, comes loose. So as long as I have it apart I'll replace it. Is not warped or broke on AC end. old gasket looks bad, I'll try using strip caulk to seal it. I like the silicone idea but it's not a cinch taking out-putting back so I'd probably have a small mess. Will also add something to block dripping from the seam.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts