Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Been a member for over 10 years, I need help with springs, this is my first post.

I searched everywhere for this information, decided to finally post;

I have a 96 Impala SS, its LSX376 swapped, Magnusson heartbeat SC, 4L85E, oversized brass radiator, all this adds a bit of weight and has caused the front to dip by 1.2" from stock, the current springs are "Stock Height Springs" purchased new from Street Trends before they closed about 2-3 years ago.

The front springs height measurement from the ground through the center of the wheel is 26.6" I know factory Impala sits around 27.8, I'm lower than stock by 1.2".

FYI: The rear is sitting at 27.5" which is fine.

I read on this forum that front Moog 584 is 0.5" higher than stock with a similar spring rate to factory. Caprice springs could be an option, I read they are 1.5 inches higher than Impala which is too high.

Does anyone know of another spring that would add about 0.75" - 1" over stock ? Worst case I could go with the Moog 584 and gain 0.5".

Thanks so much everyone, appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wonder if a spacer would be more ideal here than completely new springs.
Hi Toonwarrior,

I was thinking about spacers, I tried the rubber ones that go between the coils but those never worked, I think the metal ones that go on the base of the coil might be better.
Maybe something like this:

Thank you!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Nice I also looked into them but having just pulled out the control arms to put the springs in I'm not in the mood to do it again so soon lol.

The hotchkis springs I'm running are stiff enough so it's not bottoming out even being this low and for the most part it's a pretty good ride. I had another pair of lowering springs before this and my ride was horrible.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ked into them but having just pulled out the control arms to put the springs in I'm not in the mood to do it again so soon lol.
Nice I also looked into them but having just pulled out the control arms to put the springs in I'm not in the mood to do it again so soon lol.

The hotchkis springs I'm running are stiff enough so it's not bottoming out even being this low and for the most part it's a pretty good ride. I had another pair of lowering springs before this and my ride was horrible.

View attachment 206129
I did have lowering springs before, didn't like the exhaust tips scraping, ended up going back to stock height, after the mods I dipped one inch, thing is those spacers never worked out for me in the past. I'm thinking Caprice or Fleetwood springs are 1" more than stock impala I recall, that would put me back at stock impala. Wanted to see if anyone can give their opinion on this.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
You need to find out the height, diameter and spring rate of your springs. Then you can order new springs from just about anywhere.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You need to find out the height, diameter and spring rate of your springs. Then you can order new springs from just about anywhere.
Thanks Stonebreaker, that shop "Street Trends" closed so I wouldn't be able to get those details. Assuming they are stock front springs and you were to raise 1" from stock do you know what you would pick ? Caprice or Fleetwood springs maybe ? The only thing I know about my current springs is that they are stock height.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I don't know the stock spring rates offhand, you'd have to research that. Then just buy springs with the same spring rate but however much taller you want the car to ride.

One thing to keep in mind, the springs have probably settled somewhat over the years. You might want to be conservative with your spring height selection.

Do you know how much weight the new engine combo added to the front end? As far as I know, the LSX weighs about the same as a smallblock, so if you know how much the supercharger weighs, plus the stock spring height and rates, you could make a pretty good estimate as to what you need.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know the stock spring rates offhand, you'd have to research that. Then just buy springs with the same spring rate but however much taller you want the car to ride.

One thing to keep in mind, the springs have probably settled somewhat over the years. You might want to be conservative with your spring height selection.

Do you know how much weight the new engine combo added to the front end? As far as I know, the LSX weighs about the same as a smallblock, so if you know how much the supercharger weighs, plus the stock spring height and rates, you could make a pretty good estimate as to what you need.
The springs are only 2 years old, it started off at stock height then within the first 3 months dropped 1.2" below stock and sat there.

Weights:

LT1:530, LSX376 B15 Forged: 580 - Difference: 50
Magnusson Supercharger Heartbeat 2.3L:80 Difference:80
4L60e: 130 vs 4L85e: 155 Difference: 25
Large RAD: +40 Pound difference from stock~ Difference: 40
Total: 195 Pounds extra give or take
(also the transmission is kinda closer to the middle so the weight is distributed).

The Moog 584 has a slightly higher spring rate and load vs stock, sits 0.5" higher than stock, I did a lot of research on the forum and elsewhere, came up with a couple Moog 5552 or 584 both are 0.5" above stock, so not my first preference.

I will do some more reading, if I can get close to 1" would be happy with that.

Thanks for helping me with this.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
OK, the way spring rates work is, spring rate equals how much the spring settles per pound. For example, a 500 pound spring rate means the spring settles an inch for every 500 pounds - a thousand pounds equals two inches. So if you've got roughly 200 pounds over stock, and 500 inch/lbs rate springs, that means stock height springs will sit 200/500 lower, or 0.4 inches lower than stock. Not sure what the stock spring rate is, but 450 lbs per inch seems like the right number. Could be total BS, you'll just have to research that yourself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
55 Difference
OK, the way spring rates work is, spring rate equals how much the spring settles per pound. For example, a 500 pound spring rate means the spring settles an inch for every 500 pounds - a thousand pounds equals two inches. So if you've got roughly 200 pounds over stock, and 500 inch/lbs rate springs, that means stock height springs will sit 200/500 lower, or 0.4 inches lower than stock. Not sure what the stock spring rate is, but 450 lbs per inch seems like the right number. Could be total BS, you'll just have to research that yourself.
will look into it more, I appreciate your help thanks Stonebreaker!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Message me, there's a couple moog pn that could get you there depending desired out come. Their availability is another thing
Hey 91, I read a lot of your posts on this forum, learned a bit from them on what works, I was thinking possibly 5552 that would increase the height about 0.5-1" over a stock impala, which were you thinking ?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
The 5552 in a stock impala would ride about 2.1" higher than a stock impala. And it 100lbs/in stiffer, if you're ok with that.

The 5534 would be about .76" higher and closer in stiffness at 500lbs/in (60 stiffer than stock 440)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Message me, there's a couple moog pn that could get you there depending desired out come. Their availability is another thing
The 5552 in a stock impala would ride about 2.1" higher than a stock impala. And it 100lbs/in stiffer, if you're ok with that.

The 5534 would be about .76" higher and closer in stiffness at 500lbs/in (60 stiffer than stock 440)
2.1" would be too high so it wont work then, was trying to stay close to stock ride quality, I will look for 5534 hope its available out there. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
You're extra 55lbs should have only drop real SS springs an extra .25". So either weight is much more, the springs are not stock rate, or the car was already lower than a stock SS.
This will all matter in what you actually end up with.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're extra 55lbs should have only drop real SS springs an extra .25". So either weight is much more, the springs are not stock rate, or the car was already lower than a stock SS.
This will all matter in what you actually end up with.
The added weight is about 200lb not 55lb does that explain the 1" drop ?

The springs were from Street Trends stock height probably not the same as stock rate. When I first put them on I measured about 27.7 ground to edge of fender, 3 months later I dropped to 26.6 and sat there for the last 2 years, I would like to raise it back to stock height.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts