Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas. ive had my buddys 94 SS at my house for a few weeks while its been broke down. well i guess when moving the car from spot to spot i lost the keys! a local lock smith qouted a price of $190. we tried going to a chevy dealership but the vats info was blank. im gonna do whatever to get it corrected. i just wanna find out all my options before spending that much money on someone elses car.

ive searched the forum to the best of my abilitys and understand how to bypass the vats just havent seen anything on doing it with out the resistence info. i trained myself on a spare door on how to slim jim a b-body, so its open and ready.

i was thinking about getting an un chipped key made and was wondering if i can get an adjustable diode and start attempting to start and slowly adjusting? i figure it may be a lengthy progress but worth saving that money.

i have an ignition and key from a 95 civi. could i just install that or does it need to read a certain resistence?

any help is appreciated fellas.

jon

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Disconnect the VATS connector by the steering column and either use a decade box (big $) or a potentiometer (cheap) set to simulate each of the resistance values and determine which is required to start your car. Measure the value of the potentiometer setting with a digital ohm-meter (and cross-check several times), and that will be the value of the key blank you need to get.

Have fun

^^^ info found and qouted from Northern Classics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts