Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
2,148 Posts
Hope im replying correctly dont wanna piss anybody off lol but thanx for the info yea i saw the Jegs setup and read on a couple threads about the OTA issues. Appreciate the help.
You know what... You're right. Why would I expect you to read what you are replying to? Ain't nobody got time for that!

Reactions: nsaness

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
For what it is worth,
The stock exhaust +muffler
2.25 ish head pipe ( yeah we know that )
Muffler outlet is only 2 inch, not 2.25 as some think.

The "dreaded" front crush,,,,,
Small spot goes to 2 x 2.38 ish

I still maintain the inside of the OE muffler is much worse than the flattened head pipe.

Short story, when I first got my car it needed exhaust but I was in a time crunch so I put 2 factory headpipe-muffler assemblies on.
After a two week trip, with the car on the hoist, the new 409 exhaust was taking on the typical patina
Both mufflers had quite intense localized crimson heat spots!
I grabbed the old mufflers out of the scrap pile and cut one open .
Insanely sharp corners in there!
Musical instrument Idiophone Gas Bell Auto part

Musical instrument Idiophone Gas Bell Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Wood Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Track
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Road surface Bumper Wood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Gas

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
95wagon-
For what it is worth,
The stock exhaust +muffler
2.25 ish head pipe ( yeah we know that )
Muffler outlet is only 2 inch, not 2.25 as some think.

The "dreaded" front crush,,,,,
Small spot goes to 2 x 2.38 ish

I still maintain the inside of the OE muffler is much worse than the flattened head pipe.

Many years back I posted reading about that the tailpipes reduced to 2", and thought that was pretty smart. I was admonished that was only on the Fleetwood. It made me no matter mind as my priority was quickly to free up the overall exhaust from the 'always restrictive oem' design. Especially the mufflers. For the Impala SS back then everyone was racing off to 2 1/2", but the SLP s.s. catback was perfect with true mandrel bent 2 1/4". Never popped or raspy for 20 years. And half the price of the 2 1/4" Borla. Finally after all that time I went looking for something a 'little' quieter I picked the Heartthrob (2 1/2" non s.s.) with their chambered muffs, but kept the SLP tailpipes. Turned out nice.

Reactions: SupaSpawtdZy

·
Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
307 Posts
I've read through the past posts and I am a bit confused.

So we're saying that the OEM exhaust 2.25'' quoted is not exactly that at certain important parts. Understood.

A properly set up 2.25'' setup should be OK for most vehicles under 450+ HP.

I'm trying to install a 2.5'' on the Caddy and don't want any drone. @96 Black has done so and it seems it's manageable with nice mufflers and possibly resonators. Has anyone installed the exact setup I am looking into? Pypes X pipe and Walker 17749. Or anything close to it with a 2.5'' on a Walker 17749 muffler?

It sounds like it's possible to have no drone with 2.5'' pipe, but I am wondering if there is a magic formula.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
2.25" is big enough IFF the mandrel curves are PERFECT unless you plan on exceeding 450 horse.
AFTER the muffs, 2.00" might be big enough IFF the mandrel curves are PERFECT, though 2.25" is neither overkill nor strictly necessary.

Your Fleetwood V4P might even get away with 2.25" into the muffs, 2.00" out of the muffs, if you decide on the right muffs.

If your heart is set on 2.50", you absolutely need muffs AND resonators to defend against drone.

·
Registered
96 Impala SS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
You know what... You're right. Why would I expect you to read what you are replying to? Ain't nobody got time for that!
I read the replies, i was simply replying to what you said about the Frankenstein setup because of the alert i received about YOUR reply and because i had that post bookmarked not because i didnt read the thread. Damn why you so mad over a function of message boards lol ol cranky ass damn.

·
Registered
96 Impala SS
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
2.25" is big enough IFF the mandrel curves are PERFECT unless you plan on exceeding 450 horse.
AFTER the muffs, 2.00" might be big enough IFF the mandrel curves are PERFECT, though 2.25" is neither overkill nor strictly necessary.

Your Fleetwood V4P might even get away with 2.25" into the muffs, 2.00" out of the muffs, if you decide on the right muffs.

If your heart is set on 2.50", you absolutely need muffs AND resonators to defend against drone.
I dont race my car its a cruiser for me so no plans to boost HP. Thanx for that info.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I read the replies, i was simply replying to what you said about the Frankenstein setup because of the alert i received about YOUR reply and because i had that post bookmarked not because i didnt read the thread. Damn why you so mad over a function of message boards lol ol cranky ass damn.
Dude, you don't make sense when you talk. I'm not mad, I'm entertained.

🍿

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
About 10 or 15 years ago Hot Rod magazine did a dyno comparison between the H and X pipes. H pipe allows the engine to make more power and torque at extreme low and extreme high rpm's. The X allows for more in the mid range. On our 4400 pound plus cars, the X-pipe is the way to go since mid range is where the engine is typically at while on the street.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
About 10 or 15 years ago Hot Rod magazine did a dyno comparison between the H and X pipes. H pipe allows the engine to make more power and torque at extreme low and extreme high rpm's. The X allows for more in the mid range. On our 4400 pound plus cars, the X-pipe is the way to go since mid range is where the engine is typically at while on the street.
How do H and X compare to true duals?

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
" True Duals" I think you will find typically refers to cars having as many head pipes, mufflers, tail pipes as cylinder banks.
Not whether or not they have a balance pipe , x , h or other.
Often coined by 82-02 F body people after they removed the one headpipe and crossflow muffler.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
" True Duals" I think you will find typically refers to cars having as many head pipes, mufflers, tail pipes as cylinder banks.
Not whether or not they have a balance pipe , x , h or other.
Often coined by 82-02 F body people after they removed the one headpipe and crossflow muffler.
That may be, but I guess now I'm wondering what term I should be using.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
This may simplify it:

The need for 'true' primarily arose like 95wagon said, because of the fake duals in the f-body camaros and mustangs eg my 85GT was 'fake' duals

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I definitely get the true vs fake duals thing.

What about "straight pipes"? To me, straight pipes means that there are no mufflers, cats, or resonators (just exhaust pipe and nothing else). Now, I'm wondering if it also means no crossover.

Of course, we are discussing the technical usage of what basically amounts to slang.

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
236 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but there are a few members who would tell you that Clear Image has had trouble shipping anything at all. The cost is irrelevant if you wait 18 months and then ultimately request a refund through PayPal.

Likely the best argument for dumping the exhaust before the axle. Side exit for the win.
Damn clear image got people waitin 18 months now?
And i thought the 5-6 weeks they had me waiting was bad lmfao

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
236 Posts
My understanding:
H-pipe is usually for low RpM power, X-pipe is usually for high RpM power, though there are of course exceptions.
Not sure a Fleetwood V4P NEEDS an X-pipe, but it only hurts when you have to remove the entire exhaust to work on something under the car - otherwise, it's pretty kewl.
Great so the 1200 bucks i spent on the clear image special state of the art x pipe configuration isn't really doing **** for my "barely hits 70 mph once a month POS caprice"

Perfect

41 - 60 of 71 Posts