Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
236 Posts
One of many comparo tests

The only thing about dyno tests , is when people talk about the lower RPM ranges, the entire run is WOT .

Some lower throttle opening comparisons would be interesting.

Sound alone , I always choose X
Wonder how much cheaper H pipes are

Please don't tell me their crazy cheap lol

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
236 Posts
Not sure how accurate this is, but I've heard more than one person say that an H has more of a "classic muscle car" rumble, and an X is a bit smoother and more refined.

Exhaust note is one of the more difficult things to compare, just because no two cars are the same.
So it sounds like H pipe is what i should have gotten then smh
Yeah and the whole "no two cars sound alike" bs sure doesn't make deciding what exhaust to buy very easy smh x2

That's kinda how i got stuck with my ghey borlas

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
236 Posts
Muscle Cars sound just fine with X pipes :)

View attachment 200236 View attachment 200237
Muscle Cars sound just fine with X pipes :)

View attachment 200236 View attachment 200237
I want my car to pretty much sound like the 2nd car (the yellow one) with a little less chop
Just a consistent rumble
Im gonna cut the cats off
And im gonna have the pipes end after the mufflers....(like the car in the video)
What exact mufflers?

I have headers, but will it be possible to sound like this with the stock cam?

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
236 Posts
That's been a big +1 with everything I've ever read with actual measured results re: the X- v. H- socratic debating. As each consistently show both add like only 1 or 3 hp, then I think my tie-breaker being the H- is half to third the cost of an X- takes the cake. I'll take 'cheap' + .5 ft./lbs. more torque offline any day.

Perhaps picking nits, but there's a vid testing H- v. X-, but the cx-over on the H- is like 2' compared to the X-'es zero inches. Hmmmm. On my kits I retain oem exhaust at closest point ~2 1/2" ?
Damn man don't tell me that
Almost every fckn thing ive done to this car has been wrong or turned out fkd up
Everywhere i looked when i was trying to decide what exhaust to buy people were raving about how much better X was

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
236 Posts
Funny seeing my 2013 post in this thread (# 29), but I still have that set up. I did replace the DynoMax OTA (PS) pipe with another one because it rusted out at the bend coming right out of the muffler. Probably could have had a muffler shop fix it but just bought another 2 1/2" one at Autozone for around $30. The Dynomax OTA pipes are generally NA but do come up occasionally. I bought the DS when it did at AZ

The stock SS exhaust was 2 1/4 stainless, including CATS. My replacement CATS are 2 1/2" so my entire exhaust is 2 1/2

My "Frankenstein" set up originally was a full DynoMax CAT back I put on in 97....but as mods evolved it became what it is now (post 29)

View attachment 200325
View attachment 200326 View attachment 200327
Damn dude i can barely see any of the car but i can still tell that's one sic ride lol

That square muffler look looks bad ass underneath
I've never actually seen what square shaped ones look like on a car before

Even the jack stands lookin dope 😂

Hey you ever thought about painting the rims matching black?

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
236 Posts
I definitely get the true vs fake duals thing.

What about "straight pipes"? To me, straight pipes means that there are no mufflers, cats, or resonators (just exhaust pipe and nothing else). Now, I'm wondering if it also means no crossover.

Of course, we are discussing the technical usage of what basically amounts to slang.
Right i always pictured straight pipes as literally two bare bones pipes from the engine all the way to the bumper with NOTHING on them and lots of space around them like the rest of the car parts were scared a them or some chit 😂

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
I want my car to pretty much sound like the 2nd car (the yellow one) with a little less chop
Just a consistent rumble
Im gonna cut the cats off
And im gonna have the pipes end after the mufflers....(like the car in the video)
What exact mufflers?
The yellow 442 is 3" header to bumper .
I made it with an X pipe and Walker 17770 mufflers.
Same mufflers I have on my wagon.

Stock motor, you are going to be hard pressed to make those noises 😉

The " sort of " sound, I personally would be looking at the walker Dynomax family , as I have said before

Attachments

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
Damn dude i can barely see any of the car but i can still tell that's one sic ride lol

That square muffler look looks bad ass underneath
I've never actually seen what square shaped ones look like on a car before

Even the jack stands lookin dope 😂

Hey you ever thought about painting the rims matching black?
The car from an "appearance" standpoint looks stock. Drivetrain, suspension, braking its not.

Not painting the stock Mags black

As 95 Wagon suggests, the DynoMax Ultra's are the muffler type a lot of people do use on B Body. They are a straight through perforated pipe with fiberglass matt design muffler. Flowmaster, Spintech are a "chambered" (baffles) type and that design is generally louder.

With stock motors chambered muffler are not that loud. Headers, heads & cam motors, yes.

I had the old school Flowmaster 40's on my 67 Camaro with a stock 327. Had that classic muscle car sound. Put in a H/C 357, headers and the FM were just stupid loud to the point having a conversation in the car on Fwy was yelling. I thought about a DynoMax muffler as I did have them on the Impala before but found FlowMaster now makes a "straight through" muffler type like DynoMax and MagnaFlo called the FlowMaster FX. They are "slightly" louder than the DynoMax. MagnaFlo ones and to me sound great on the Camaro.

and they are a SS welded (not crimped) muffler and are only $49 (Amazon)

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
To clarify
I did not recomend dyno max ultra flows
I recommended the dyno max reverse flow super turbo .
My expereance , the ultra flow with a tail pipe has a rappy broken garbage truck sound which I ,PERSONALLY, dispise

·
Registered
94 Caprice 9C1
236 Posts
The yellow 442 is 3" header to bumper .
I made it with an X pipe and Walker 17770 mufflers.
Same mufflers I have on my wagon.

Stock motor, you are going to be hard pressed to make those noises 😉

The " sort of " sound, I personally would be looking at the walker Dynomax family , as I have said before
I see...ok yeah ill definitely keep doing more research about what mufflers, there seems to be so many different combos, and opinions
The fact that no two of the same car seem to sound the same when they got pretty much got the same chit seems kinda weird....like human fingerprints lol
Its almost like the only real way to know for sure is just keep switching parts till you find the sound you like
I do know people were telling me the set up i got now was gonna sound way better than it does now.....sounds stupid asf
First things first though....gotta find some getto mofos willing to cut off my cats
Which means, looks like im headed to the southend lmfao

61 - 71 of 71 Posts