Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done redoing my brakes about a week ago.. When I was sucking up the old fluid out of the resevoir w/ turkey baster I accidently pulled up a bit too much. Brakes work right except for HARD braking when the pedal goes to floor & can hear a faint foaming, bubbling, sloshing sound when the break pedal gives. I've tried running a search on here for a procedure but couldn't find any.. Also tried looking in the FSM with no such luck. I'm going to check the fsm again, but if anyone knows the procedure please get back with me. Thanks, Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the exact procedure I used when I was done replacing the pads.. Should a regular bleeding of the brakes bleed air from the master cylinder? I thought there was a procedure for bleeding the master cylinder itself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SSLOWMO, When you bleed your brakes that also includes bleeding your master cylinder. The proceedure is one and the same.

I suggest you rebleed your system completely.

Make sure you don't let the resevoir go empty while bleeding and let air into the system. Also, make sure your helper (whoever is pumping the brake pedal) holds the pedal to the floor so you can close off the bleeder at the caliper. If he/she lets the pedal come back before you shut down the bleed screw, air will be introduced into the system. If either of these things happen, start all over again from the beginning.

Good Luck, Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more tip...
Don't pump the brakes too much when your bleading. Just let the pedal come up, then press it down again. I've found pumping them can move the air around (usually not towards the bleader either). Hope it's a helpful tip :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When bleeding a new master cylinder, you do bench bleed it. You put it in a vice put bench bleed tubes(come with the new MC) on it. Then fill with fluid. Put the tube ends in the MC and start pumping the MC with a dowel. You can't get a good bench bleed in the car because the pedal does not stroke the cylinder as far as you can with a dowel. Failure to bench bleed a new MC will result in increased on car bleeding and you may not be able to get a good bleed at all. I know, I've been there, done that, and don't need no stinkin' t-shirt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found it very helpful to let the car gravity bleed for a while before finishing the job by pumping the pedal. Fill the master cylinder, crack all four bleeders and let them drip for a bit (with a container to catch what drips out), keeping an eye on the level in the master cylinder. Even so, I had to bleed the back brakes at least once more after driving the car a little bit. And it does use a bit more brake fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.