Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys the nut on the steering gear won't tighten any more. I was reading on the forums guys just put the nut on the steering gear with a breaker bar.... I'm using a breaker bar with a leg of a engine lift.. How can I tighten this bolt. My corded impact won't budge that thing at all....

Is it tight enough to take it to a shop just to get the bolt tighten with their air guns? A tire shop would be less than a mile away from me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
What is the correct torque? AFAIK, "Torqued as if struck by Thor's Hammer" isn't spec.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What is the correct torque? AFAIK, "Torqued as if struck by Thor's Hammer" isn't spec.
150 Minimum Ft/Lbs my torque wrench doesn't go higher. But I tightened it tighter using the method mentioned above. So +150 for sure.

Wait, is it not suppose to meet the very top of the steering gear? I thought it did...

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
150 Minimum Ft/Lbs my torque wrench doesn't go higher. But I tightened it tighter using the method mentioned above. So +150 for sure. Wait, is it not suppose to meet the very top of the steering gear? I thought it did...
Dude. Using a cheater bar of that length, and pulling on it with all you have, you are probably over 200 ft/lbs at this point. My guess is that the threads are f-ed - or close to it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
150 Minimum Ft/Lbs my torque wrench doesn't go higher. But I tightened it tighter using the method mentioned above. So +150 for sure.

Wait, is it not suppose to meet the very top of the steering gear? I thought it did...
It is not supposed to pull up to meet the steering gear housing. There is a taper on the splines which prevents that from happening.
Ken

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
It's plenty tight.
You're good.

Nab

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Guys the nut on the steering gear won't tighten any more. I was reading on the forums guys just put the nut on the steering gear with a breaker bar.... I'm using a breaker bar with a leg of a engine lift.. How can I tighten this bolt. My corded impact won't budge that thing at all....

Is it tight enough to take it to a shop just to get the bolt tighten with their air guns? A tire shop would be less than a mile away from me.
For a Nut this important or any Suspension/Steering fasteners, it is (to me) important to get the correct Spec for Torque and use a Torque Wrench to assure you are at the correct setting. Doing what you did gives you absolutely no idea what Foot Pounds you have that Torqued to as you are guessing at it. With a bar that large, I would think it's safe to say you are most likely more than enough :wink2: and most likely well over the recommended amount.

When I swapped my Steering Gear, I looked up the Torque spec for this Nut and IIRC, it was ~185 lbs. My Clicker Type torque wrench only goes up to 150 lbs so after using this to the Max, I then used a Breaker Bar on a Standard Wrench to move the Nut and additional 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn. While this is not accurate, I was pretty confident it was plenty tight and no issues since. I did need to get my feet set in such a way that while laying on my back I could get enough "leverage" to pull this nut tighter.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts

Looking at how much thread is out the bottom of the nut, looks like you stretched the pitman arm taper over the sector.
I would say you are lucky you didn't break the end of the shaft off .

My numbers come up as 179 ft/lb

Impact on pitman nut, not really the best practice as the impact can imprint the balls into the worm

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank ALL of you once again.... Lmao I thought it was suppose to go to the very top.. You guys should have seen me rolling around with that big ass bar.. LMAO to think of it. Anyways I am very lucky. I ended up removing the nut and just to see how things where. Everything was nicely seated with 0 damage.... Thankfully! Ended up just tightening the bolt to 150 then gave it a bit more with a breaker to finish. Thank you guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts