Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys-

since my scanner tells me i need a new maf(counts do not return to zero, sometimes stick), i was wondering if i should upgrade? i can get new delco stocker for $85, and aftermarket upgrades seem to cost substantially more than that, so i am wondering if its worth it on this almost stock application? it has drilled airbox &kn filter, homeplate delete, soon to have 1st base delete, summit turbos & 2.5 pipes w/ no h or resonators, freshly cleaned & matched injectors(3 originals failed). this is very much a daily driver(wifes car), and always will be, but we are considering 3.73s, and an s-10 converter soon, along w/ brian H. programing. this would be about as far as i will go w/ this car, hoping for low 14's.

thanks for any help!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
DO NOT get an aftermarket (Granitelli) MAF. From experiance
I will say that the G. MAF is a perfect waste of money

Since you are looking to install gears and get a BH recalibration soon, you can get a stock F-body MAF instead of the stocker. This is probably the best MAF 'upgrade' you can make.

HOWEVER....the F-Body MAF has different calibration tables from the stock MAF so you WILL need to let Bryan know so he can add it into the recalibration.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info!

does the f-body maf require the changes in the computer in order to run correctly?(i.e. should i wait untill after b.h. programing to get the f-body maf?)

thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the F-body MAF requires a PCM reflash to run correctly. It'll "run" ie if you need to drive to the hospital because you're bleeding to death, but I wouldn't drive around any more than you needed to that way as the calibration tables will be all wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get the 2001-2002 F-body MAF GM# 25179711 it is about $100.00 cheaper and it's the same just a different part number. Try Dal or Kevin at Fairway 1-800-395-1440

Sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one out of a 2002 and she runs awesome!
I just ran a 14.80 at 93 with what I have in my sig plus bbk shorties

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replys!

i went ahead w/ the stock delco replacement as i needed the car up & running today. fixed all my problems! on the first try! not bad for a carb guy!

by the way, my symptoms were:

1)long time cranking before starting
2)excessivly rich at startup(hot or cold),clearing up immediatly after startup
3)gas mileage in the toilet

i am guessing the computer nver set code because it was still receiving a signal that was within spec

i welcome comment on my diagnoses!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.