Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my '96 BRW 383 project. It is powerful, but it is too LOUD. The Dynomax Ultra Flows that sounded great on my stock Fleetwood are completely overwhelmed by the cam and heads 383 with headers. Lots of drone, resonance, and just plain socially unacceptable. The only time it is reasonalbe is at idle.

I would like to just replace the mufflers if that would do the job. What do you recommend? I want it quiet as possible without loosing much performance.

My setup is: Golan 383 short block, AI ported F-body heads, AI custom cam (220/232 not too big), F-body MAF, Clear Image Tri-Ys, Clear Image 2.5" exhaust with X pipe and wagon OTA pipes (they look great coming out just behind the back wheels, but no room for resonators). I also did 3.73s, and Vigilante T/C tuned for this setup.

I know this topic has been discussed many times, but many of the threads condentrate on stock, or near stock engines. I need to know what works well with a more aggressive setup.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I just finished my '96 BRW 383 project. It is powerful, but it is too LOUD. The Dynomax Ultra Flows that sounded great on my stock Fleetwood are completely overwhelmed by the cam and heads 383 with headers. Lots of drone, resonance, and just plain socially unacceptable. The only time it is reasonalbe is at idle.

I would like to just replace the mufflers if that would do the job. What do you recommend? I want it quiet as possible without loosing much performance.

My setup is: Golan 383 short block, AI ported F-body heads, AI custom cam (220/232 not too big), F-body MAF, Clear Image Tri-Ys, Clear Image 2.5" exhaust with X pipe and wagon OTA pipes (they look great coming out just behind the back wheels, but no room for resonators). I also did 3.73s, and Vigilante T/C tuned for this setup.

I know this topic has been discussed many times, but many of the threads condentrate on stock, or near stock engines. I need to know what works well with a more aggressive setup.
They all will be loud without the resonators. Unless you use them, you are gonna be stuck because the ultra flows are thus quietest you can get.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I just finished my '96 BRW 383 project. It is powerful, but it is too LOUD...I would like to just replace the mufflers if that would do the job. What do you recommend? I want it quiet as possible without loosing much performance...
Summit turbo's aren't as loud as Dyno's, perform/sound well and are (still) very cheap.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
They all will be loud without the resonators. Unless you use them, you are gonna be stuck because the ultra flows are thus quietest you can get.
Sorry eshaw, but you're WAY off. Dynomax Super Turbos are far quieter. I'd recommend them for OP's wagon.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The largest body Dynomax Super Turbo that fits would be your best bet. You can also use the 3" mufflers with reducers for the best flow. I believe that Dynomax is the only "turbo" style muffler that has 3" internal flow tubes in the 3" in/out muffler. Most other companies use 2.5" internals in their so called 3" mufflers.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
ultra flows are thus quietest you can get.
cwm3 Where did we find this guy. A straight through glass pack, is as quiet as it gets, apparently. Take your pick of virtually any other full bodied Dynomax muffler, and it will be quieter.

These are the common choice for people who want a quiet performance muffler.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17749/

·
Registered
654 Posts
cwm3 Where did we find this guy. A straight through glass pack, is as quiet as it gets, apparently. Take your pick of virtually any other full bodied Dynomax muffler, and it will be quieter.

These are the common choice for people who want a quiet performance muffler.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17749/
Are you using the ultra flows? Have you used them? Once again we have another person speaking from opinion rather than experience. I am using the ultra flow and i specifically said that thy would be loud unless you use the resonators. Can you not read or is that function a matter of your opinion too? I believe its called something like selective reading. That's what you are guilty of my friend.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had the same problem with the Ultra Flows SS. Stock LT1 RMW.

Added "Red Hot" tube muffler to act as a resonator. ( 3.5" dia, 2.5 inlet/outlet/ 18" straight thru , FG wrapped $17 ea). Summit I believe, or Jegs.
Fit nicely, reduced "loud" to "very pleasant" on the highway. No need to turn up the radio. Slight rumble at idle, some noise when you press hard on the go pedal. Removed the drone and reverb.
Might quiet your "worked" motor for very little $$$.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Damn i could've swore that i said that the dynomax is the quietest you can get. Maybe i read it wrong.
You said Ultra Flows are quietest. They are not. Super Turbos are quieter. Both are made by Dynomax.

I believe its called something like selective reading. That's what you are guilty of my friend.
You appear to be the guilty party, sir.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
SMH another wrong ansewer!
BORLA is the quietest!
i have headers, no cats with borla and its still quiet. my alll stock bbb with flowmaster is WAYY LOUDER!!

oh eshaw since you love pics here you go

·
Registered
654 Posts
SMH another wrong ansewer!
BORLA is the quietest!
i have headers, no cats with borla and its still quiet. my alll stock bbb with flowmaster is WAYY LOUDER!!

oh eshaw since you love pics here you go
Smh! Another one who can't read! I see RESONATORS under your car. I repeat what i said earlier...ANYTHING WILL BE LOUD UNLESS YOU USE RESONATORS. Can you read that?

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
They all will be loud without the resonators.

Unless you use them, you are gonna be stuck because the ultra flows are thus quietest you can get.
Dude.....let's look at your entire quote.

1. Yes......any muffler could be louder without resonators......and they will all drone mch more without resonators.

2. But YOU DID state that "ultra flows are thus quietest you can get"......and that is flat wrong.

Now, either you can deal with the fact that your statement was wrong......or you can't; it doesn't really matter. The bottom line is that you are wrong. The ultra-flow system is (IMHO) the best combination of quiet and performance, however.

This is coming from a person with two B-bodies, both with the ultra-flow system who has heard quieter systems/mufflers on other 'built' B-bodies.

FWIW.......

KW

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Dude.....let's look at your entire quote.

1. Yes......any muffler could be louder without resonators......and they will all drone mch more without resonators.

2. But YOU DID state that "ultra flows are thus quietest you can get"......and that is flat wrong.

Now, either you can deal with the fact that your statement was wrong......or you can't; it doesn't really matter. The bottom line is that you are wrong. The ultra-flow system is (IMHO) the best combination of quiet and performance, however.

This is coming from a person with two B-bodies, both with the ultra-flow system who has heard quieter systems/mufflers on other 'built' B-bodies.

FWIW.......

KW
lol thanks KW

·
Premium Member
5,749 Posts
First hand experience

In 2 1/2 I would recommend the dyno max 17749
3 inch , 17770 but you will need to remove the heat shields above the mufflers if you want them to sit up properly.
I have both these mufflers on two interchangeable exhausts on my wagon. The 17749 is quieter.

In researching mufflers the walker rep told me the 17770 would be quieter due to the larger body. When they weren't, he changed his story to "what I meant was IF we made a 3 inch muffler in the smaller body, the larger 17770 WOULD be quieter"

I have a customer that had a nice system on an "A" body with 17749's.
He brings me short body Ultraflows , has to have them !!! couldn't talk him out of it!

Backing the car of the hoist I give it one sharp throttle "Blatttt"
"Oh he'll be back"
Week later he was back to putt 17749's back on.

This year with an engine up grade I did a 3 system with 17770, he didn't argue my choice.

It all comes to personal preference. I for one can't stand the sound of Ultraflows.

your mileage may vary
Gerry

·
Registered
654 Posts
i stand correctes. i guess i need to be more detailed and literate and more specific and said the ultra flow ss system is one of the quietest. there you go...now, can everyone please get their panties out of a bunch?

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
i stand correctes. i guess i need to be more detailed and literate and more specific and said the ultra flow ss system is one of the quietest. there you go...now, can everyone please get their panties out of a bunch?
Wouldn't have been an 'issue' if you hadn't denied.....three times.....what you clearly stated :p .

KW

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the suggestions so far. It looks like there is a consensus that the 2 1/2" Super Turbos are a better choice.

I called the Borla tech line, and they suggested that their XR-1 Sportsman 40941 muffler is a very quiet muffler, and if 2 are used on each side, it would be guaranteed to be quiet. This may be possible because they are small--12x4.5x7 7/8". Has anyone tried this? They guy said that this small muffler was quieter than their larger 400237, which is what they normally recommend for B-bodies, and is built similar to the short body Ultra Flow.

I am considering the Borlas because I may be able to fit all 4 ahead of the axle (I will take a look tomorrow), and I could keep the exaust exiting behind the back wheel, which looks great.

The Super Turbos would be much cheaper though, even if I have to add resonators, and that will definitely enter into my decision.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions so far. It looks like there is a consensus that the 2 1/2" Super Turbos are a better choice.

I called the Borla tech line, and they suggested that their XR-1 Sportsman 40941 muffler is a very quiet muffler, and if 2 are used on each side, it would be guaranteed to be quiet. This may be possible because they are small--12x4.5x7 7/8". Has anyone tried this? They guy said that this small muffler was quieter than their larger 400237, which is what they normally recommend for B-bodies, and is built similar to the short body Ultra Flow.

I am considering the Borlas because I may be able to fit all 4 ahead of the axle (I will take a look tomorrow), and I could keep the exaust exiting behind the back wheel, which looks great.

The Super Turbos would be much cheaper though, even if I have to add resonators, and that will definitely enter into my decision.
well i tell you what...i just got my car back up and running after the heads and cam swap and also added tri-y gen II and the car is loud as hell and thats WITH the resonators. it was super quiet before with the longtubes and before this cam. go with the super turbos if thats what everyone is recommending.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Im not that old but I was told that CADILLAC used four(4) mufflers way back to keep them quiet.
So that trick would probably work
Never did it probably wouldnt do it but its your car!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts