Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE PROBLEM
Like the title says, I need some help from you gurus and B Body gods in order to determine which gear/stall setup would be the best for my 1995 Impala.

I have an early stage build up that is made up mainly of smaller mods, but I really yearn to opening the car up first, you know what I'm talking about. The not-so-educated-people say to get some ported Z heads and cam.....

I'm young, but I'm not stupid....

WHAT THE CAR HAS NOW
So the car has stock rear end, newer stock posi (I think, the car has 255xxx and it still works.) and stock trans, as far as I know. Bolt-ons and other mods include: Flowtech headers, Pypes x pipe, cheapy mufflers, and 2.5" OTA pipes.

WHAT THE GEAR/STALL APPLICATION WOULD BE FOR
Ok, so like I said previously, I really want to open the car up. When the car kicks down into gear when I stomp on it, it brings a smile to my face. However, that smile has been fading gradually. Plus, I really wanted to go with a possible AI cam/heads/intake set up in the future, but that's a long while down the road. The car is daily driven on city streets. Very rarely do I ever have to hop on the interstate. My goal is to have my SS be able to keep up with some of the newer 5.0 Mustangs. EX. Coming across one at a light. (I don't know if that is realistic, but hey I can dream right?) I will be going to the occasional Test N' Tune nights at the local strip, and will probably be getting some 15" wheels for some slicks.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Hopefully I have provided enough information for y'all to point me in the right direction. I know the types of ratios and such, but I honestly just don't have a clue on which to go with that fits my needs and current conditions. Same can be said about me and stalls. All help is appreciated.

Thanks!

(Note that the posi unit and axles will be upgraded during the process as well.)

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
I guess the responses are going to be about the same as they always are. I use/recommend the 3.73 GM gears w/Eaton positraction carrier,Moser c-clip axles w/ARP 2.5" studs,Dynotech aluminum driveshaft w/Spicer 1350 u-joints,and a 3000 stall 9.5" Vigilante torque converter. This is a very reliable,and proven combination. It has been absolutely trouble-free for many years now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You will be shocked by the change putting 3.73 gears in. I dropped about a full second off my time and my highway mileage went up by 2 mpg. The stock 3.08 gears tend to bog the engine down and the 3.73 gears seem to put it better into its power curve.

Just be aware that changing the tire diameter will change your gearing as well.

With just gears/freshened rear end, transmission with shift kit and a reprogram of my PCM I was running sub 14's in quarter mile. Just putting the slightly smaller Impala SS rims on my car brought me to 15 seconds. I raced a 99 mustang GT with that setup and we both were consistent enough it all depended on who hooked up better that trip. We kept lining up with each other and tried to beat the other and we ended up about even.

These cars are very torqy and will likely blow the mustang off the line. But the weight eventually limits you and the mustang catches up...

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
The 3.73 vs 3.42 questionnaire:

1. I'm gonna race, or 'play hard' [for money]?
Y = 3.73 [or more] N = 3.42
(see #6)

2. I'm gonna tow/haul, or 'work hard' [for money]?
Y = 3.73 N = 3.42

3. Lotsa steep &/or long hills where I tend to drive?
Y = 3.73 N = 3.42

4. I care more about city MpG, less about highway MpG?
Y = 3.73 N = 3.42

5. I have an extra $400 lying around, just in case I NEED to buy a new driveshaft?
Y = 3.73 N = 3.42

6. My valvetrain has [AT LEAST] 1.6 roller rockers and upgraded valvesprings to support a WOT UpShift of at least 6,000 RpM?
Y = 3.73 N = 3.42
(see #1)

7. This is my toy, not my daily driver?
Y = 3.73 [or more] N = 3.42

If 'Y' is greater than 'N', get 3.73 [or more]
If 'N' is greater than 'Y', get 3.42

You'd probably prefer 3.73. Still recommend 28"-29" tall tires and 1.6 roller rockers, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.