Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I bought my Caprice I always liked the way that the cop cars and other Caprices were kind of 'jacked up' in the back. To the point where you could see the rear sway bar hanging under the diff case. Well my car is pretty low and I was wondering what I could do to raise it up in back. Some people say to get different shocks(i.e. air shocks) but I dont want to give up any of the cop car beefed up suspension. I still want to be able to take all these speed bumps around here with ease at 40 mph like I can now. Would different springs work? Any help and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dimitri

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yeah, I think 1990 9C1 springs, or station wagon springs would do the trick. I'm in the same boat as you. 95 9C1 w/ 140k and the springs are sagged a bit, (especially noticable with a trunk full of luggage)

Does anyone know which (90 9C1 or wagon) if either, is taller or stiffer?

Dimo, is your car an ex MN state patrol car? Is is still that Maroon color? I grew up in MN, and always thought those cars looked sharp.

------------------
'95 9C1. Drilled airbox w/ K&N, stealth-bolt, CSP spoiler.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah actually it is. How did you know that? I dont remember saying that before? At first I was going to get a white or black paint job but Im actually starting to like the brownish color. If I had a choice I would have a white one though and the next one I buy(Im definitly going to buy another!) is going to be a white squad hopefully a 94. Anyway the thing is Im not sure if they are sagging but maybe thats how they just always been. Either way I want it higher in the back.
Dimitri

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I remember you saying something about the state patrol driving it in MN winters, with a reference to the Eagle M+S tires. My 9C1 is white, (my sig seems to have vanished from it's url) which is nice, since traffic really pays attention, and moves & behaves for you. But when I do it again, I'm thinking dark blue, or I'd love to have that MN State Patrol color. It'd be really low key, especially in any state besides MN. Was it equipped with a single spotlight & wheelcovers? Where did you find it?

------------------
'95 9C1. Drilled airbox w/ K&N, stealth-bolt, CSP spoiler.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out "Ultimate spring setup" by Scott Mueller under suspension at b-body.net. I chose the 80's 9C1 rear springs raised the rear about 1" even though uninstalled they are shorter. If you have not checked that site out do it lots of great info. This will probably get increase when I install the bilstiens(0929) that are in the trunk. Not looking forward to laying in a snow bank hugging the axle.

------------------

Dwayne Jennings

Body bushings, 80's 9C1 rear springs, stock size K+N, 1LE endlinks, Jacobs ignition

[This message has been edited by 96capriceMGR (edited February 27, 2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dwayne,

What would happen if you put 300-400 pounds in your trunk? Would the rear stay at least level with rest of the car?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put those springs in because of weekend trips with the trunk and back seat loaded(probably 3-400lbs.). With the stock springs I would smack the hitch leaving the diveway even heavily loaded I have had no problems since. The only down side I have found is it seems to take weight off the rear so I may go back to stock springs before winter. I live in WI and about once a month visit the folks in Michigan's Kewennaw Peninnsula(in the middle of lake Superior) where there is snow snow and more snow, 250 inches a year is NORMAL. Anyway cost about $100 if you have a connection at dealer and is easy to do, at least compared to unbolting the top of the rear shocks or plug wires or......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.