Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im about to buy a 94/95 9c1 and i want to make it handle as good as it could on a budget. I wish to make it about the same ride height as the SS or a little lower (1"or so) so if you have a successful setup, please share the info

thanks, tom

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a very inexpensive suspension mod. I have done this to two (2) '94 9C1's that I have owned, and it dropped the 9C1 to the same ride height as a 'stock' Impy SS.

Remove the front 9C1 springs and cut EXACTLY 3/4 off the top coil. I know you are not supposed to do it, but I used a torch. I put a pair of vice grip pliers on each side of the area on the spring where I was cutting. I put the vice grips in the freezer for about 4 hours and removed them and put them on the spings right before the cut was made. The vice grips acted as a heat sink. The springs were only warm to the touch after the cut. I would recommend cutting them with a die grinder or sawzall with a carbon/steel blade.

In the back I bought two packages (four total) of coil spring compressors at my local parts store for about $10 total. Use them to compress the two lowest coils together on the rear springs. This combo will lowere the car about two inches all around, and the highest part of all the wheel well moldings will be about 27 1/2" off the ground.

After you have done all that, you will have to have the car re-aligned as the front edge of the tires will now point outward.

I have NEVER had any rubbing or any noises come from the car after making this change, and the ride is firmer but definately not harsh.

Email me with any questions at [email protected].

Later...

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spring compressors are a BAAAD idea...do not use them. just get some springs, F body front bar, and some bilstiens

1 - 3 of 3 Posts