Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have renounced to buy a new opti, but from what I have heard from all of you there are several out there on the market that are bad.

Which brands are best and please consider I dont have a lot of money for a really expensive one. What is the best for the best price.

Also, where can I find that tool to install the waterpump seal? If someone can give me the info on where I can get one.

Thank you

· Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Stock is best.

It's been rumored that the MSD Opti issues (which were significant) have been fixed.....but I won't buy one to find out.

Best of luck!

KW

· Registered
6,542 Posts
AC Delco is stock and considered the best...but doubt you will find a "new" one. The Ac Delcos now are reman.

Delphi is new and of = quality. rockauto.com has them for the better $

remove rotor screws and put on some blue loc tite before installing opti

· Registered
333 Posts
I agree! I just did this mess myself but I only needed to change out my cap & rotor not the entire Opti unit. I was told from membes here to just stick with OEM AC Delco OR Delphi. I ended up doing an AC Delco Cap & Rotor and so far its great! Stick to stock

· Banned
3,437 Posts
Ok, so I have renounced to buy a new opti, but from what I have heard from all of you there are several out there on the market that are bad.

Which brands are best and please consider I dont have a lot of money for a really expensive one. What is the best for the best price.

Also, where can I find that tool to install the waterpump seal? If someone can give me the info on where I can get one.

Thank you
since you have limited funds cardone has a new opti with a lifetime warranty at advance auto. it is now going for 225 USD last time I looked. using the code HUGE50 you will get it for 175 USD...

the opti made by ac delco had the Mitsubishi optical sensor/pick up. well that was in the past. hard to find any non chinese parts especially when you have a 20 year old vehicle,...

the ac delco opti are available for I saw 550 USD but no warranty so if it gets damaged your out the 550 ...

with this opti I suggested you get another or your money back..

· Registered
333 Posts
Very nice paper weights lol. I bought the Cardone last year from Advanced and it lasted me a little less than a year! Dont waste your time please. With the amount of time and labor that goes into changing these Opti's, your best bet is either save up and get the AC Delco or Delphi unit and do it right the first time. Now I found the whole Opti unit for a great price on RockAuto.com and PartsGeek.com. I think RockAuto was cheaper and its the same part number as our OEM. Also there is a memeber on here that has a new Delphi unit for sale...cant remember his name but he offered it to me in my post. Let me find out his name for ya.

· Registered
2,505 Posts

· Registered
1,782 Posts
Also there is a memeber on here that has a new Delphi unit for sale...cant remember his name but he offered it to me in my post. Let me find out his name for ya.
That'd be moi and it's still available. I've a working unit in the car and a backup. i just don't need the new summit/delphi unit.

I hear ya Nab. PRESENTLY, The 2 best options are paying extra coin at Rockauto or getting the SW if on a budget. The former is backed up quality. The latter is a well refurbed unit from a vendor who knows what to look for (read as 'optical sensor') when R&R'ing them.

The Delco is simply too expensive. The Accel is still [email protected] MSD is going to have a hard time overcoming the [email protected] label they acquired earlier on and too expensive to boot.

A good housing including good bearings and mitsu OS paired w/ a MSD C&R is what I run. I DO like that the MSD cap has an extra contact point (4 instead of 3) and the rotor is much more robust.

+1 to the rotor loctite.

· Registered
333 Posts
I thought it was you lol. I just didnt want to say something before I found out and IM'ed you for the ok to tell this member about your Delphi.

· Registered
2,703 Posts
I have 3 unmolested OEM Delco units. Used, but clean. Original Mitsubishi optical sensors.

Soon after I joined this forum, and knew little about our cars, I had a no start condition. Everyone said it was the opti, it's always the opti, etc, so I bought a new Delco unit which I installed. Still no start. Got to know Larry Cigar (remember him?) then, even he couldn't figure it out. Turned out to be the coil even though it tested good on car. So that opti is available, has about 50K on it.

Bought 2 other used Delco optis. These are from clean SoCal cars, not rust buckets. No leaks, no wobble, vented type for our cars. Mileage unknown but condition would suggest lo miles. Checked inside.

I have every confidence in these and have gained enough knowledge to say that a used Delco with the Mitsu sensor is better than any new unit.

If there is an off car test, I will do that. LMK.

PM if interested, make offer.

Don't think I will ever need these.

· Registered
487 Posts
Good call Nab. I love Skip White's stuff. Great prices, even better products and awesome customer service. I've used his Delphi lifters in probably 10 engines, 2 of my own. Zero problems. unlike the "LS7" lifters. Hit rockers are also badass.
But as for Opti's, never used his and have no need for an opti now. but I just ordered one for a customers car here at the dealer. Gm now offers the AC Delco Reman. It's a non-vented. List was about $860 or so. My manager felt generous and sold it for $628 or so. I about crapped myself when the service writer got it ok'd.

· Registered
137 Posts
What's the whole story on the $60.00 opti's? How can that be??? Also, even though I have replaced my opti once about 60k ago I didn't loctite anything. Can someone clarify where the loctite goes

· Registered
8,020 Posts
I believe it goes on the screws that secure the rotor.

· Banned
3,437 Posts
What's the whole story on the $60.00 opti's? How can that be??? Also, even though I have replaced my opti once about 60k ago I didn't loctite anything. Can someone clarify where the loctite goes
the reason the thread locker is used is when the cap / rotor are replaced.

the screws loosen in the threads on these old opti units far too often when this cap/rotor r/r is done.

My opti had no problems for 18 years . when the water pump blew out I removed the opti and found @ 70 K miles the rotor wobbled which was due to the bearing being worn. so if people replace cap/rotor and they have a slight wobble due to the bearing wear you best use the thread locker or it will fly apart. my opti looked good inside of it . replaced because of the wobble only ..if I did not remove it and test for wobble I would not have revealed this bearing wear. screws are still tight in the OEM factory opti rotor .. still have it as a back up / test ...

I would not buy any of these opti distributors unless they have a damn good warranty cash back or replacement .. you by a 550 USD opti and is junk now that is a very expensive paper weight,,,,.must have warranty!!!

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone

Alright thanks everyone for your input. I will be looking for that OPTI.

I Know my OPTI was full of oil so I hope this wont happen again.

I will stay away from Cardone and yes i noticed all AC delco are reman with almost none offering Warranty.

Ill look and hope to hear from who I PM'd !

Any one know who sells the cylinders to install the WP seal?????

Attachments

· Registered
1,782 Posts
Alright thanks everyone for your input. I will be looking for that OPTI.

I Know my OPTI was full of oil so I hope this wont happen again.

I will stay away from Cardone and yes i noticed all AC delco are reman with almost none offering Warranty.

Ill look and hope to hear from who I PM'd !

Any one know who sells the cylinders to install the WP seal?????
Got your pm. Will contact you w info

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.