Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of stock Iron LT1 heads AND a set of stock 96 Z28 Alum. LT1 heads..
Which one should i use on my 94 RoadMaster?
I have a 305 cam,1.6 rockers,LT headers,full 2 1/2" exhaust with Xpipe,52 mm TB,3.73 gears,2600 stall,elect water pump all going on the car as soon as i decide which heads i wanna use..

If i do the Alum heads i can get them slightly ported and cleaned up and be ready for install on the car..

If i do the Iron heads i will have to pull them off the car and then get them ported..

Either set will get new Comp Cams springs i have..

So what would u suggest i do?

The car has 80,000 miles on it now..

I don't want a drag car by any means,i just want to get the best performance for the parts i have chosen..And the extra 50 lbs i would save with Alum would be nice..But i know the iron's work better STOCK..But if i port them both which one would be best then?

Thanks..
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As heavy as the Roadmaster is, you will want to lighten her up with the alums. Since either will be ported, the alums will be the better choice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd port the aluminum heads....not becuase of weight savings 'cuase I don't think it'll make much difference given the RM's overall weight; but becuase it'll be easier (cheaper) to port aluminum vs iron.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I am missing something but every place I look I find the weights of the ImpalaSS and the Roadmaster to be about the same. Anywhere from 4036 lbs. to 4177 lbs. I can't imagine what would make them THAT much heavier. You guys kinda sound like the RM weighs twice as much as the SS. Now if you're talking about the wagon.........that's a whole different story.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys..

My car is a sedan and weighs 4093 lbs..no leather no,air ride...
But every pound i can save will be a blessing.

I'm used to 2700 lb mustangs.where 300 hp will get you deep in the 12's..lol..

Again thanks for your input.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With any work done the heads are going to flow darn near the same. So I agree, go aluminum mainly for weight savings, especially since you alreay have the heads.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not only the weight savings but the time savings too, If the aluminum heads can be set up to be put on in an afternoon rather than losing the car for a week to take the irons off and having the machine shop work done than for me thats the way to go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xchief1320:
But i know the iron's work better STOCK..
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so fast. Not necesarily. Depends....Depends on when your heads were cast. You see, for the later '96 and the 97s, GM switched foundries to the location that cast the iron heads, and apparently used the same casts as were used for the iron heads. The result being, as good flow, but with the weight savings of aluminummm. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.