Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh Boy tell this doesn't mean what I think it means? Noticed this when I started her up this morning on my way to a car show. New Golen motor has only about 1K miles on her. I did the Torqhead upgrade, which required the removal of the water pump and coolant flush, but I wouldn't think that be the cause. I know moisture gets in there occasionally. Haven't drained the oil yet to see if it is milky but will do sometime this week.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What color is your antifreeze? Neon green or orange?
I bet it is the green !

I would not start engine .......... then do the pressure test .. if it does fail remove one spark plug then check for coolant pressure flow ..
Yes it is green...Prestone
what tools do you recommend for the pressure test?

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
call auto zone for tool use .. they may have one or another store.. I have used their tools put dep on CC.. for free... nice to have the tool but I have too many tools ..

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
976 Posts
Very odd...
If that’s coolant from exhaust surprised that thing isn’t smoking like crazy.

Where specifically was the coolant?
Could this be from coolant pipe fittings on back heads?
Or heater core hoses?

I’ve never seen coolant make it outta the exhaust in green/liquid form.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very odd...
If that’s coolant from exhaust surprised that thing isn’t smoking like crazy.

Where specifically was the coolant?
Could this be from coolant pipe fittings on back heads?
Or heater core hoses?

I’ve never seen coolant make it outta the exhaust in green/liquid form.
I know, right? thing is it doesn't overheat, doesn't smoke, and the coolant reservoir appears to not have lost any fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
boofers, have you looked underneath to see if there is a slight drip somewhere? This is one of those times you almost wish there was something large enough that you could pinpoint. Not knowing is frustrating. I think you need to go to AZ and get their loaner cooling system tester. As much as I like having tools I think buying in this instance would not be wise. It's not a tool you would use enough and I have read reviews on the HF one. Seems there is a problem with one of the GM adapters.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
common for moisture (condensation) to be in exhaust that on initial cold start up blows out tail pipe....."coolant" no.

Need to confirm it was coolant and came from tail pipe.

FWIW I just used the Autozone coolant system pressure test kit on another car I have. Nice tool

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/loaner-pressure-tester-adapters

Assuming this is coolant coming from tail pipe it "could" be from crack in a "ported" head exposing coolant passage to exhaust valve (maybe port job got a little close).

Kit would also show a blown head gasket

Just use the adapters specific to your vehicle in the kit

Harbor Freight has it for around $90 but it doesn't appear to have all the adapters the AZ one had. It came is a "small suitcase" size blow mold plastic case

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
coolant in the engine oil / remove oil drain plug ... head gasket ..oil floats on the coolant ..

aluminum heads / cracked or manufacturing metal defect.

some 5.3L GM engines had this aluminum crack manufacturing failure ..

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok I got the tool at autozone today...set it up and found a couple leak areas in the hoses. I tightened up the clamps on the radiator and overflow tank and reset the pump pressure back to 15 PSI...held for about an hour, is it bad if I leave it on their overnight?

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
boofers, It looks as if you might have found the "leak". I doubt that leaving it on there over night would harm anything. Isn't it great having this forum for all the help that's put out for you when you're in need? Good diagnostics my Friend. BTW, I would still check the oil.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not gonna celebrate just yet, will run it for a few minutes tomorrow before work to see if coolant still comes out of the exhaust

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I thought you were just speculating that the coolant was coming out of the exhaust. In that case I would pull the plugs and check them. Might even give you an excuse to run to HF for an inspection camera. :wink2: I think it would fit in the plug hole.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OP

You did this pressure test while the engine was warmed up and thermostat open..right?

If coolant is coming out exhaust...that would be a head or head gasket issue
Here are a couple more photos from this weekend. I fired it up, did pressure test, cannot see anywhere a leak would be near the heads. I drained the oil and it was not milky.
I'm shutting her down for the year. I'm so bummed, seriously considering pulling the motor and sending to ERE just so I can have peace of mind. I'm not the original buyer of the motor, it was new unused but the warranty wouldn't cover it anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
If the coolant is just the PS tail pipe I would pull that head. My guess is the heads have been ported but "may" have been done to deep at one spot which now cracked where a coolant passage is. This happened to Got Cupcake Bearings several years ago several mikes after the heads were done.

You could also just pull the PS header/exhaust manifold to see if there is signs of coolant in one, or more, exhaust ports since you would need to pull exhaust anyway to remove head

This would be WAY faster than pulling the whole motor. Yeah if nothing is found in head or head gasket than deeper surgery would be needed but I suspect the issue is in head or gasket.....or possibly a head bolt that did not have "thread sealer" on it

If I understand correctly it was a Golen motor (short or long block??) that Mike Harris installed and tuned. I would think either Mike or Chad would offer advice as to what heads and who ported them or confirm if they were even ported heads

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Here are a couple more photos from this weekend. I fired it up, did pressure test, cannot see anywhere a leak would be near the heads. I drained the oil and it was not milky.
I'm shutting her down for the year. I'm so bummed, seriously considering pulling the motor and sending to ERE just so I can have peace of mind. I'm not the original buyer of the motor, it was new unused but the warranty wouldn't cover it anyways.

good passenger side so IMO head or gasket.. need to fix this quickly ofr more damage .. also put UV dye in the coolant so when the head is removed you will see the defect leak area..

do it very soon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts