_
_
_

Attachments

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Oil coolers in the radiator are not always the best as if the radiator
springs an internal leak, you'll never know until either the motor goes (oil cooler leak)
or trans goes (trans cooler leak). :(

If you plan to keep the car a long time, its prudent to delete the lines going to
the rad.

Nab

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
PM Sent but the mailbox is full. Please LMK.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oil coolers in the radiator are not always the best as if the radiator
springs an internal leak, you'll never know until either the motor goes (oil cooler leak)
or trans goes (trans cooler leak). :(

If you plan to keep the car a long time, its prudent to delete the lines going to
the rad.

Nab
That's actually why I originally jumped on this. I liked the simplicity and was planning on running a B&M external cooler anyway.

My trans builder for this project insisted on an internal trans cooler run in addition to an external cooler to to not void the warranty on the trans, I believe he mentioned fluid having better heat transfer and also more stable trans temps but I have definitely heard other trans builders say the exact opposite. On all the other cars I have built I have only run an external cooler, but I don't want to void the warranty on this trans so I went out and bought the new FSR radiator with trans cooler. It worked out well because I really wanted to run the LS style inlet/outlet on one side too.

honestly, I would have liked an internal oil cooler. I may run an external oil cooler on a thermostatic switch which I am sure would do a better job at keeping oil cool, but I kinda liked the idea of an in-radiatior oil cooler to warm the oil up faster on cold nights. Unfortunately, with the LS style end tanks, there was only room for one or the other, oil or trans cooler.

In any event, chalk this radiator up as more money lost from the 13 years of this project changing directions LOL At this point I am wiling to give good deals on stuff I'm not using because the new setup is almost done, I see the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm just looking to unload all the parts I'm not using for a little extra cash to finish up the car.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
I have that same radiator, excellent. Even if I still had a auto I would run a non tranny/oil cooler radiator. External coolers for those period IMHO

OP is giving this radiator away...it costs WAY more than what he is asking

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
PM sent.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Money sent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts