Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Take your current registration or title in your name to the dealership along with your drivers license and they can look up the original key code from GM and cut you a key. The only downside to that is if someone changed the locks at any time after the car was built hen the new key will not work and you are out the cost of having it cut.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take your current registration or title in your name to the dealership along with your drivers license and they can look up the original key code from GM and cut you a key. The only downside to that is if someone changed the locks at any time after the car was built hen the new key will not work and you are out the cost of having it cut.
Thx. Will give it a try. Someone tolld me they only keep that info for twelve years, but its worth a try.!

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
If all else fails, I have a complete set of locks for a 91-93 with keys. The only one that is difficult to swap without the key is the storage compartment. It would require drilling it out.

Reactions: ayilar

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buying the set from Fred would probably be a much cheaper way to go and he already has them ready to go.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy
Thx. May wind up doing so. Buick Service Dept was nice, but could not do it. They referred me to a local mobile locksmith who said he might be able to take a core out and make me a key. If that fails, then its on to Fred's locks...

·
Registered
26 Posts
They referred me to a local mobile locksmith who said he might be able to take a core out and make me a key. If that fails, then its on to Fred's locks...
I've bought many cars without keys over the years and done this. easiest way is to just pop off the door panel yourself, and take the door lock out and bring it to a locksmith. Any competent locksmith can take the lock apart and cut a key, last one I had done was around $20 bucks or so. That was in Indy, not sure where you are located. Biggest downside is they have to replace the outside cover, and these cars are getting up in age and most mobile guys don't keep the cover in their van. Good luck!

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
2,830 Posts
A few years back I located a small mom-and-pop dealership in Wisconsin that was able to cut keys for old cars if you show them the title. Most dealerships these days will only go back to a certain year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've bought many cars without keys over the years and done this. easiest way is to just pop off the door panel yourself, and take the door lock out and bring it to a locksmith. Any competent locksmith can take the lock apart and cut a key, last one I had done was around $20 bucks or so. That was in Indy, not sure where you are located. Biggest downside is they have to replace the outside cover, and these cars are getting up in age and most mobile guys don't keep the cover in their van. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I'm going to pop the passenger core out this weekend and take it to a local guy who said he can do it. But what exactly are you referrinf to as the cover?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I stand corrected, the older GM cars I did this on worked.
Haven't had to do a late car .When I did the F body manual trans ign lock I just bought a coded cylinder
Its a learning experience for me also. Love the help and discussion here. Its not about being right or wrong, but helping and learning I think. Thanks for your reply! -I Like Big Buicks, I Cannot Lie (Sir Drivesalot)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm going to pop the passenger core out this weekend and take it to a local guy who said he can do it. But what exactly are you referrinf to as the cover?
The silver/stainless cap on the end of the lock. It has to be pried off to get to the tumblers, and gets trashed in the process. The lock on the right has the four fold over tabs is the replacement cover.
Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Nickel
Gas Metal Wood Cylinder Auto part

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ni ti gnirb I
The silver/stainless cap on the end of the lock. It has to be pried off to get to the tumblers, and gets trashed in the process. The lock on the right has the four fold over tabs is the replacement cover.
View attachment 205490 View attachment 205491
Ok, I see what you mean. I'll make sure he has one before I bring the cylinder in. Very helpful to know.:D

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
So what did they do?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts