Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The silver/stainless cap on the end of the lock. It has to be pried off to get to the tumblers, and gets trashed in the process. The lock on the right has the four fold over tabs is the replacement cover.
View attachment 205490 View attachment 205491
It was just as you said. Got new keys. Taking the door panel off, I was surprised by the interior condition. No rust or corrosion on anything. In Indiana, most 30 year olld cars are rustbuckets. I think quality is the key.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
2,830 Posts
I'm curious why you would have to remove anything at all?

In 2015 I lost the keys to my wagon...

I called a locksmith, and they came out with an Astro van that had some gnarly machinery in the back. He cut me an ignition key and a door key on the spot for like $220. He did disassemble the ignition cylinder, but he never did anything at all to the doors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm curious why you would have to remove anything at all?

In 2015 I lost the keys to my wagon...

I called a locksmith, and they came out with an Astro van that had some gnarly machinery in the back. He cut me an ignition key and a door key on the spot for like $220. He did disassemble the ignition cylinder, but he never did anything at all to the doors.
Okay, so I WANTED to do that. I contacted 2 Buick dealers both of whom said that was possible. Unfortunately, the information needed to do that is only retaineed for 12 years. I confirmed this with three different locksmiths, who said that they could cut a key using the VIN number, but the car was 30 years old, and the info needed was unavailable. Each locksmith said they could cut a key if I brought them the core. I did, and they did. I'm not a locksmith, I don't even play one on TV. However, all three said the same thing, so I believed them.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Okay, so I WANTED to do that. I contacted 2 Buick dealers both of whom said that was possible. Unfortunately, the information needed to do that is only retaineed for 12 years. I confirmed this with three different locksmiths, who said that they could cut a key using the VIN number, but the car was 30 years old, and the info needed was unavailable. Each locksmith said they could cut a key if I brought them the core. I did, and they did. I'm not a locksmith, I don't even play one on TV. However, all three said the same thing, so I believed them.
LMAO... None of those guys are locksmiths. What a joke.

Those guys are just key makers.

A real locksmith can make a copy from nothing but the lock itself.

Reactions: Marky Dissod

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
From memory, I think he had some sort of tool that fit into the door lock that was able to feel out the inside of the lock. Once he had the inside figured out, then he used that "image" or whatever to cut a fresh key with that pattern.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
LMAO... None of those guys are locksmiths. What a joke.

Those guys are just key makers.

A real locksmith can make a copy from nothing but the lock itself.
And they did. I brought them a lock, they made a key. Plus, the one I used is a family business I have used for over 40 years. Both for personal and business needs. Having worked in the coin=op industry for 40 years, I have used them repeatedly, awarded them contracts, and never been disappointed. Played softballl with the owners son. I thought they made me fine keys for my wagon. Not sure what your point is here.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Not sure what your point is here.
The point is that there is no reason why you should have to bring anything to anywhere. You do not have to remove the lock from the vehicle.

If you don't mind doing it, great, but you seem to be implying that you had no choice.

Given the very nature of what locksmiths do, it should be no big deal for them to come out on site.

The fact that you were not locked out of the vehicle (and thus able to remove the lock) was a luxury.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Ok Caddylack

If they were , as you say, able to make a door key without disassembling your door lock, why did they have to take your ignition lock out ?
Actually, in my case he didn't have a choice...

I first called a guy that turned out to be one of the "key makers", rather than a lock smith. I fired him midway through the job when I realized he was not a real locksmith. He had already removed the ignition cylinder.

I have no idea if the ignition cylinder needs to be removed, but I know for sure that the door locks do not. He never touched my door panel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

I first called a guy that turned out to be one of the "key makers", rather than a lock smith. I fired him midway through the job when I realized he was not a real locksmith. He had already removed the ignition cylinder.

I have no idea if the ignition cylinder needs to be removed, but I know for sure that the door locks do not. He never touched my door panel.
Well, everyone I have spuken to said they needed to have the lock, pry off the cover, make the key, then put a replacement cover back on. Cost me $28.00 for three keys. Woud love to get the phone number of ANY locksmith who could do it without making me spend 30 minutes taking the door panel off. I'll wait.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Well, everyone I have spuken to said they needed to have the lock, pry off the cover, make the key, then put a replacement cover back on. Cost me $28.00 for three keys. Woud love to get the phone number of ANY locksmith who could do it without making me spend 30 minutes taking the door panel off. I'll wait.
Okay. If I give you the contact info for a locksmith in the city of Chicago, are you going to call them?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Glad it worked out
It was just as you said. Got new keys. Taking the door panel off, I was surprised by the interior condition. No rust or corrosion on anything. In Indiana, most 30 year olld cars are rustbuckets. I think quality is the key.
Glad it worked out for you! Now that you are familiar with how the door panel comes off you will be prepared when you have to replace your window sliders:LOL:

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
As usual this is a repair with the choices of cheap, fast or good. Pick your priority.

Making a key by impression is not fast and requires a skilled locksmith. Some people believe it causes lock damage as a key blank is repeatedly forced against the wafers/tumblers.

Taking apart a lock is easiest for the lock smith. The wafers are measured and a new key is cut "by the numbers" At this time the lock would be checked for wear and lubricated.

With access to a warm environment I would take the door card off myself and remove the lock over having a good locksmith do a impression.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
When I buy a used car I check out the locks. If they seem worn I have replaced them with new or picked up some used locks and mixed up the best of several sets to make one.

With the B4U I went with new locks all around because I got a "bad vibe" from the past owner. In 2011 all the body locks(with keys) ignition cylinder, and four VATS keys cost me 134.89 USD plus shipping.

This site is hard to use but inexpensive. I did not check for the body locks.

With most cars now having remote entry locks do not see much wear. But for older cars the driver's door lock and ignition lock are worth replacing on a 25 year old car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

Okay. If I give you the contact info for a locksmith in the city of Chicago, are you going to call them?
100%. My locksmith said he will give me my money back if someone can make a key for those Buick/GM offset key cores without removing it. He expained tio me why. Some cores do not have to be removed, but these do, because of the offset. But, whatthe heck, I can't lose. Maybe I'll get my monney back. Maybe the 72 year olld guy with the master locksmith certificate is full of it. Be interesting to find out.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
100%. My locksmith said he will give me my money back if someone can make a key for those Buick/GM offset key cores without removing it. He expained tio me why. Some cores do not have to be removed, but these do, because of the offset. But, whatthe heck, I can't lose. Maybe I'll get my monney back. Maybe the 72 year olld guy with the master locksmith certificate is full of it. Be interesting to find out.
Sounds like you need to tell this 72-year-old "master locksmith" about the process of key impressioning.

Got that, @95wagon ?

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Got that, @95wagon ?
Give it a rest

First you said
" He cut me an ignition key and a door key on the spot for like $220. He did disassemble the ignition cylinder, but he never did anything at all to the doors."

I asked why ,if he could do the door, he had to pull the ign.

So then you went to the second shooter scenario.
You could have said in the first place you used two different people.

I am aware of process , I also feel the door lock and it's mounting in the sheet metal is somewhat frail compared to a safe or a building door lock
As for the ign lock personally I would just buy a new one.
Also if the ign lock is out , cant the the locksmith read the stamped code and get the key letter pattern by year ?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I asked why ,if he could do the door, he had to pull the ign.

So then you went to the second shooter scenario.
You could have said in the first place you used two different people.
No, that is not what just happened. This is what you said:
Ok Caddylack

If they were , as you say, able to make a door key without disassembling your door lock, why did they have to take your ignition lock out ?
You were clearly calling bullshit.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts