Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
You seem to have had the most reliable advice on this thread. In fact, my experience was EXACTLY as you said. Other posters claim a good locksmith could make a key without removing the lock,, but then cannot produce anyone who can actually do that:rolleyes:. I got 3 keys made and new cover for $28. I have since contacted 7 locksmiths all over the Midwest, and they say it is possible on some locks but not these. Has to do with the keyhole being slightly off-center. (I never noticed before.) Again,, thank you for the valuable advice. 😃
You're welcome, glad it worked out!

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
2,830 Posts
Okay. Now that @IlikebigbuicksIcannotlie blocked himself from seeing my posts:

I just had some memories dislodge.

I can vividly remember the locksmith telling me that he was going to do his best on the door key, but that if I had any issues I could stop by their office during business hours and get a better one made.

This guy came out on site at night, since I was stranded. I was essentially paying him to make my car functional again.

I do not dispute that impressioning is an inferior method on these cars, but I do dispute that it is impossible.

Not only have I been here for 17 years, but many of the people reading this thread also know me in person. I might be a douche, but I don't think anyone would describe me as someone who makes things up.

It is possible for a skilled locksmith to make a door key on site using the glovebox + impressioning/guessing.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts