Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put them on about 50 miles ago and they squeak and chirp like no bodies business. What can be done about it?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
6,324 Posts
In the past, we've seen the shock body rub on the hole in the frame--either the shock isn't properly centered in the upper frame hole, or there needs to be some minor clearancing done on the actual frame stamping at the top of the spring pocket.

If you can tell which side the noise is coming from, drop that front shock out and look for signs of rubbing on the shock tube--that will pinpoint the area of contact with the frame.

Are the Bilstein shocks new? They come with interlocking upper (top & bottom on shock shaft) insulators designed to keep the shock centered in the upper mounting hole on the frame. If the shocks were swapped from another vehicle, or if the insulators are not those supplied with the shock(s) by Bilstein, I'm thinking that could be what's allowing the shock to be off-center in the upper mount position.

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
... interlocking upper (top & bottom on shock shaft) insulators designed to keep the shock centered in the upper mounting hole on the frame. ....
Yepper. Getting the nibs on the upper bushings to seat properly in the hole is critical in assuring the shaft does not come in direct contact with the metal frame and create the perfect squeak-maker.

Another thought is that whenever upgrading one part (especially a big performance gainer as Bilsteins) it tends to show up other weak spots like perhaps a nearby loose body or motor part.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the past, we've seen the shock body rub on the hole in the frame--either the shock isn't properly centered in the upper frame hole, or there needs to be some minor clearancing done on the actual frame stamping at the top of the spring pocket.

If you can tell which side the noise is coming from, drop that front shock out and look for signs of rubbing on the shock tube--that will pinpoint the area of contact with the frame.

Are the Bilstein shocks new? They come with interlocking upper (top & bottom on shock shaft) insulators designed to keep the shock centered in the upper mounting hole on the frame. If the shocks were swapped from another vehicle, or if the insulators are not those supplied with the shock(s) by Bilstein, I'm thinking that could be what's allowing the shock to be off-center in the upper mount position.
Thanks man I will check it out next weekend. Right now headed out the door for Tulsa. And yes the shocks are brand new

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I was out of town a bit longer that I wanted, but I am going to see if I can find the problem tomorrow. I have 1 question. The new shocks came with 2 washers, one is bigger in diameter that the other so which one should be mounted on top?

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
You can get installation instructions here:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/bilstein-shock-absorbers/bilstein-shock-installation-instructions-online/385128978281/

Lacking clear distinction in the instructions then I use the following guidelines for the bottom one comparing the two:
harder durometer or
fatter or
bigger nib

For proper torque make sure not to tighten to the point where the grommet/insulator gets squished past the diameter of the metal bushing/washer.

ps - you'll never get a better chance to check all the A-arm bushings as rotted or spongy that might be causing your squeak.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can get installation instructions here:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/bilstein-shock-absorbers/bilstein-shock-installation-instructions-online/385128978281/

Lacking clear distinction in the instructions then I use the following guidelines for the bottom one comparing the two:
harder durometer or
fatter or
bigger nib

For proper torque make sure not to tighten to the point where the grommet/insulator gets squished past the diameter of the metal bushing/washer.

ps - you'll never get a better chance to check all the A-arm bushings as rotted or spongy that might be causing your squeak.
Sorry still not clear so let me ask again---where should the bigger washer be located on top or under? Also the rest of the front end is still fairly new. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,324 Posts
If the shock is off the car, post a picture so we can see what you're talking about.

Here's front install info--it's not easy to understand
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/24-011044/177279/RWD (find link to install info in this link)

Call Bilstein in California and ask your question....or try calling Mark at Shox.com (800-683-2890), even if you didn't buy the shocks there. He will know the answer or can direct you to the right source.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the shock is off the car, post a picture so we can see what you're talking about.

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/24-011044/177279/RWD (find link to install info in this link)

Call Bilstein in California and ask your question....or try calling Mark at Shox.com (800-683-2890), even if you didn't buy the shocks there. He will know the answer or can direct you to the right source.
Thanks I will give them a call

·
Registered
8,059 Posts

Yah Bill, a pic of his grommets would sure help. The illustrations in the instructions show location of a small decal that id's the mount types upper/lower.

Otherwise, it appears for almost all apps that if only one grommet has a nib, then that one goes on the lower side.

This kinda bears out my previous thoughts/posts:
http://www.carid.com/images/bilstein/suspension-systems/pdf/24-239462-installation-instructions.pdf

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
My eyes say negatory. Both sides appear identical diameter, taking into account the slight lateral set from 10,XXX as he claims. Plus they both have the same nibs.

As consolation I will admit the lower one looks a bit more squished, as expected for the compress loaded side.

EDIT EDIT! You said washer. I thought we've been debating the more important bushings/insulators. I go and find Post #8 and presto chango the issue is now the metal parts.

So, from the vid the lower metal washer appears slightly bigger, just as you'd expect for the compression loaded side. So, just put the larger washer on bottom and snug the nut until the top bushing fills out to the diameter of the smaller of the two washers.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all you tried to help with advice and videos. I fixed the problem. I took both shocks off the car and installed them both back on---big washer on the bottom---lined them both up being very careful on positioning. Then I went for a drive and no more squeak.

They problem was one of the bushings was out of place by just a pinch and that is all it took.

So thanks guys for the help and I feel a bit foolish for not seeing this the first time I inspected for the noise--but all is well now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts