Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i won a set of 17" boyd codington timeless rims w/ tires on ebay for 350 bux. the seller isnt sure about what size the lugs are, but they werre on a a 1990 ford thunderbird 5.0, im sure unless they are unviersal 5 lug they wont fit, or am i wrong? also how much would a set of adapters run me? wheres the best place to buy them?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The lug spacing will be wrong for the B-Body. You'll also want to check and see what the backspacing is on them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"These 17*8 5-108 coddington timless are in very good condition, rims are made for 5 lug bolt paddern, Nitto extreme performance tires payed over $2000.00 on these brand new rims and tires very small light scratches on one wheel nothing to worry about. Reason for selling is that I sold the car that they were on and buyer had rims alreay for the car.
"

thats the auction. so are you saying they will not fit at all?or they just need adapters?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They definitely will not just "bolt on".

IF there is enough room in there, you might be able to get a set of adapters (about $500) and make them work. If not, you're SOL.

You're gonna have to measure the backspacing to know for sure.

So, at MINIMUM you're looking at another $500 to make them work. Unless you're really attached to them, I'd probably sell them and pick up something else.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
damnint i coulda sworn that adapters only costed at most 100 bux, thats what everyone told me. i might just still buy them and sell em cuz it is still a hell of a deal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot of the newer custom wheels now come with 10 bolt holes to fit two different lug spacings, so all is not lost yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, you CAN get adapters a lot cheaper than $500. Most of them are crap
. This is NOT an area to skimp and get "cheap" on........when that cheap adapter breaks, causing the wheel to fly off the car and PASS YOU ON THE FREEWAY....you'll wish you got the good adapters :D

Good adapters are available from, among others, Motorsport Tech outta LA

Motorsport Technology Wheel Adapters

If it is a 90 T-bird, it PROBABLY has the 5x4.5" Ford bolt pattern. Some GM is 5x4.75", and OUR cars have 5x5".

In addition, measure the backspacing (write back here if you don't know how, and I'll walk ya thru it). You want to end up with approx 4.5" of backspacing on those wheels.......BUT if you need to do adapters (probably) then you'll need at least 1" (and probably more) of "extra" space to accomodate the adapters.

That would mean that the WHEEL would need (for example) to have 6.0" of backspacing, and then you use a bolt pattern adapter that is 1.5" thick to get the bolt pattern right AND get your backspacing right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ummm, Moser ain't gonna help out on this one

Even if they have new axles that'll work with the correct bolt pattern for the rims (At $300/pair BEFORE shipping/install), that still doesn't solve the (probable) backspacing issue. Also, you'll have to drill your rotors (this time and EVERY time you swap rear rotors) to match the new bolt pattern as well.

In other words, you'll end up spending more than the $500 on the set of adapters from Motorsport Tech.......and you've only solved the issue on ONE axle so far

As far as I can tell, Moser does not sell wheel adapters. Maybe I'm missing it on that website?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well the guy lives about 40 min away so i can pick em up i left an message on his machine and asked him before i came to take em up to belle tire, and have them sized and measured jus to make sure for what i need.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You'd better find out what "universal" means first, as there are quite a few 5 lug bolt patterns out there!

Try bolting it on YOUR car. Once you know that, you'll know where you stand......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
timeless 5 ARE NOT universal they only fit whatever pattern it was built for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.