Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Looks identical to the "Jegs" catback made by Heartthrob Exhaust, I liked it back in the day when I had my 9C1.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Whats the difference in mufflers ? Turbo vs chambered
I just read that... if it's the same as the Jeg's catback it's chambered, but they probably just put that as a disclaimer so they can use whoever supplies mufflers cheapest when they restock.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Disappointed

I bought the Summit system on Friday and am in the process of in stalling it.. not happy.

Will post details and pics later this week.

·
Premium Member
20,294 Posts
If it really is OEMed by Heartthrob, they have a bit of a reputation as a low end manufacturer.

Brad
Well.......for 290 bucks, ya can't really expect 'top-shelf' quality.

KW

·
Registered
766 Posts
Sorry for no follow-up, but things have not slowed down.

I installed the Summit exhaust on my 1996 Roadmaster wagon. I expected that kit would fit up to the fist part of the OTA pipe and was disappointed the amount of rework required for just the front portion. My expectation was that something sold as a kit should fit [a sedan] without modifying.

- The left intermediate pipe was about 2" longer than it should have been. This was likely caused by the fact that the first bend was about 2" later than it should have been.

- The OTA pipes resulted in bends hanging way down below the tank. The wider space between the springs on a wagon should have allowed the OTA pipes to "twist" more and tuck up. I am not sure if this was a wagon only problem.

- The tops bend in the OTA did not seem to be quite tight enough. This resulted in it hitting the tank heat shield [wagon problem?]. I trimmed a little off where it went into the muffler. Later, when we set the car down, it making contact on the front part of the axle. I was able to adjust it a little to make it work. I would recommend not trimming anything until you force the axle up there.

- As has been discussed somewhere long ago, the basic problem with these cheaper systems is how they hang the mufflers. Most of them use some type of hanger clamp one of one of the rubber hangers from the offset output pipe/OTA pipe. The factory mounts are in the center of the muffler, not the offset. This creates difficulty in getting the mufflers tucked up high and makes everything hang lower. It also totally screwed up my plans to use band clamps at the mufflers since they would not hold it tight enough against the twisting force of the incorrect hangers. I ended going back to saddle clamps and even fabbed some reach-around brackets to grab the other rubber hanger.

The sound is ok. I liked most the other mufflers better that have been on the wagon [Summit Turbo and Welded Hush Thrush.] I give the system a C-. It is cheap, but I am not sure if I would buy it again, especially for a wagon.

[I will post some wagon unique details in the wagon section sometime later.]

·
Premium Member
20,294 Posts
Sorry for no follow-up, but things have not slowed down.

I installed the Summit exhaust on my 1996 Roadmaster wagon. I expected that kit would fit...........and was disappointed the amount of rework required for just the front portion.

My expectation was that something sold as a kit should fit [a sedan] without modifying..........I give the system a C-. It is cheap, but I am not sure if I would buy it again, especially for a wagon....
Thanks for your review/warning.

You likely saved a lot of headache for someone with lesser abilities to improvise their way through the install.

KW

·
Registered
285 Posts
i bought the jegs kit 2 months ago. easiest way to say it is its junk. almost every pipe needs cutting to fit and it still hangs too low. also after two weeks of being installed the welds for the inlets on both mufflers broke and needless to say that junk was off my car and sent back for a refund within the month.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with the quality of the Jegs kit as well. Ended up taking it to a shop to finish the install because the OTA pipes were too long. The shop apparently had a hell of a time getting it to fit, too. Now the rear pipes still hang too low (right after they come down from over the rear axle), but I guess it does sound good.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Jegs cat back system

I have installed 8 of these kits on 9C1s and Roadmaster sedans over the years and had no fitment issues at all. Easy installation, sounds decent enough and for less then $300 bucks Im happy. I would recommend these kits.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
For the OP and others this is not a "new" offering per-se and it's been out there awhile. As mentioned both Jegs and Summit offer the same kit sourced from HeartThrob.

My post #25 on the link adds to "installability", both related to normal fitment issues and the extra wrinkle of using the kit with a different design aftermarket stab bar (HO in my case).
https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/22-exhaust/1236793-does-anyone-have-catback-system.html

A couple notes overall:
-Material is respectable quality. The bends seemed mirror image pretty consistent side-to-side giving a symmetrical look underneath, but as mentioned the wild ends caused problems and had to be cut an inch or more in more than one case (OTA-to-tail one side and muff-to-OTA on the other side) to get things lined up alike.
-I saw the huge number of U-clamps and ordered (8) S.S. strap clamps and REAL glad I did. You can reuse them a hundred times, and I had to do so much remove-refit-cut-adjust that it really made the process liveable without the pipes getting all crimped up and tight.
-You see the final (biggest) problem is at my HO bar. I've been running it with an SLP catback for almost 20 years, but checking my FWB I see the tailpipes on this kit have the same double bend as oem that puts the pipe in interference with the bar. I was going to cut 2" off the ends into the OTA to try to get them up out of the way but decided no. My review on the Summit site tries to fore-warn others about this for a kit that would otherwise be workable.

I used completely different tailpipes and the setup fits great now (given the necessary various end-cutting exercises). The chambered muffs are alot louder than I need, so it will not be too painful to cut in glasspaks/resonators. I bought an H-pipe kit and will cut it in with cooler temps coming now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts