Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2001 Cadillac DTS from Florida. One hell of a drive back , 1550 miles from Marco Island to Stoney Creek, Ontario. The car has all the features and toys that Fleetwoods didn't have in their time. The car handles great compared to the FWD. Friends and family where telling me that they like the DTS better than the FWD. I agreed with them on the basis of options, toys and one hell of a Bose stereo system, but I still like my FWD. Maybe because of the rarity or the fact that the FWD is the last of an era.

I know the Northstar has had its problems and with all the toys the DTS has its just that much more that can go wrong.

Looking for any feedback on the DeVille/DTS.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm glad you're happy with your new ride. The only feedback I have is they're great in snow, have the prettiest turbine blade wheels I ever seen on a production car.

Perhaps my greatest personal regret is they're wrong-wheel drive, and of course I favor the stout current motor offerings over that cute little aluminum 4.6.

But, your fambly along with likely 99% of other normal folks on earth won't care to quibble with such trivia so it's a darn smart pick to get that Cady feeling with much more current technology than the dino decade-old FWD.

Good buy.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife is not a fan of large cars and doesn't understand my love affair with Cadillacs. I bought the DTS for her. She wasn't sure if she would like it until she drove it. It will take her a while to get used to parking it, but it does have the back up assist.

You're right about the chrome wheels, they do look good.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have rented a few DTS's in 05 and 06. The last one was black with chrome wheels. My wife fell in love with them and I must say it was a nice driving car and I really don't care for FWD. As you say, all the electronic gadgets are scary when you think of all the possible problems, but they are great fun to have!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased it with 145,000 miles on it. I know its high, I am hoping it doesn't give me too much greef.

I looked at your brother's DTS, wow thats what I call fully jammed. I love the Cabrio roofs and Vogue tyres. The nav and night vision are great but just that much more to worry about. What where some of the things he had problems with?

Like I was saying earlier, my other neighbour and his wife both say I should get rid of the FWD and keep the DTS, they like the look of the DTS.

I will be hanging onto my FWD for now.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The whole electronic suspension had to be replaced at 88,000 miles: $3500

The crank position sensors went bad at 90,000 miles: $800

Power window motors, drivers power seat motor, ABS sensor, and a transmission control module. That is all I can remember off the top of my head.... maybe he was just unlucky because his last car, a 2000 STS was far more reliable and less costly to maintain.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, they're very nice cars, but things like the expensive computer-controlled struts being toast, various engine sensors, etc. are all a bit more than common. For the most part, they're all quite reliable, but no newer FWD Cadillac will ever have the same level of tractor simplicity and cheap maintenance to it as a Fleetwood.

But it's all a trade off. The Fleetwood is simpler and cheaper to fix, but it also is VERY light on features and is the classic "old boat" in many regards to driving (as stock, that is), and the Deville is much more complex and can have some expensive maintenance items, but also has pretty much all modern luxury touches, can be easier and sharper to drive, and is just a more modern car.

Hope you have good luck with BOTH cars :cool:

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know what is funny...

I was offered $15,500 for my Fleetwood 2 months ago. My car has 84K miles.

My brother's 2003 DTS sold for $12,100 on eBay. It had 100K miles.

Talk about depreciation and appreciation!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He paid around 8 or 9k for the car, and has probably put 5-6k in it, it would be a loss for your custom ride, your not getting your money back out of it, face it. Your in for the long haul.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by lou4612:
$15,000 ....and may I ask why didnt you sell??? :eek:
Because I searched for 2 years to find a Sable Black 1996 Fleetwood with under 80K miles with a Moonroof... don't want to go through that again.

And 2 Big Woods is right, I have put alot into the car after the $8K I paid for it.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're right about the window motors, have to replace one already, possibly two. The steering has a on again off again feel to it, I'll start by replacing the power steering fluid.

The reason I won't get rid of the FWD is because it is the one I have been looking for. I am looking forward to investing into that car, but not so much the DTS. But damn it looks good with those chrome wheels.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by lou4612:
$15,000 ....and may I ask why didnt you sell??? :eek:
Yeah, given the quality of his car and the awesome effort put into it, $15k is nothing for a car like his.

Also good point about the depreciation vs. appreciation, something people brought up a couple of months ago when I was having weird thoughts about selling my Fleetwood and getting a newer semi-luxury sedan. In a few years, while that car may be worth only a couple grand and is more common, mine right now is probably about as low as it will ever get, if not going up in value.

Still, good luck with the DTS 96ermic ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I enjoy taking my mothers 98 Deville Concourse our for a ride once in a while...i hate the touqe...not as ballsy as the FW is...then again it has 300hp so moving it on the highway is easyer

but I would not trade even my 93 for a deville

but its nice to have both

1 - 15 of 15 Posts