Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tired of competing against my own headers. I said we would do a re-design of our TRI-Y's once we got moved into the new shop. Well, we couldn't wait.

The new passenger side TRI-Y is done. Driver side will be done early next week.

The passenger side looks fast just sitting there. We tried to create a more "traditional header look" as you see while looking in the engine bay.

The pictures below are of the R&D header. Many of the welds pictured will not be there.

We got rid of four gas welds, lengthened the header over-all, got rid of the secondary tube, many of you have not liked from day one, and equalized the length of both secondary tubes. Primary tubes got longer, EGR flange is clocked for MUCH easier access and the price will be less as production will take less time. This header is closer in length to our Quad headers and should be good for more power and torque.

And best of all, it's a Clear Image Automotive exclusive. Paperwork is already filed.

Here's a picture of the old TRI-Y with the new TRI-Y and the Quad header for comparison:

Here's the old laying on the new so you can compare the length:

Here's one of the old and new TRI-Y header:

And one last picture of the new TRI-Y by itself:

Of course stainless Hi-flow converters and extended hook-up pipes will be available.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sweet, let us know when you get pricing together. I have some money just burning a hole in my pocket and have been pondering these a set of your headers for some time now. Geoff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They look great. If they are available in stainless and with 1.75" primaries, I'll SERIOUSLY consider replacing my Quad-1s.

How is the frame clearance?

It's great to see something productive happening after all these anti-competition posts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beautiful! Great to see new progress Dan! That is what good business is all about - never slowing down.

Maybe I should wait a while for my headers and get a set of these... :D

Hope the move is going well.

Edit: Almost forgot - I might be up in your area in late June. If so, maybe I could check out the new shop! I'll let you know.

Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Ram Air 9C1:
They look great. If they are available in stainless and with 1.75" primaries, I'll SERIOUSLY consider replacing my Quad-1s.....
Uuhhhh......yeah.......Ditto.

Those are 'effectively' long-tubes.......and I like them
!

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the easy access to the spark plugs similar to the old TRI-Ys? I have been thinking about ditching my G-hann long tubes and going to TRI-Ys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New TRI-Y's > Old TRY-Y's

Can't wait to see the prices on these!

[ 05-16-2007, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Member # 10000 ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have the length of the primaries been calculated to time the exhaust pulses to take advantage of the scavanging effect?

I thought that that is the added benifit to try-y's? Yes, a long tube header helps scavange the exhaust when the preceeding pulse is still in the primaries when the valve opens again, but I thought that try-y's takes it one step further?

So, have the primaries been figured out (at least on paper) to take advantage of this effect?

If so, then maybe I should hold my current order with you and give this new design a try. Or am I just talking out of my a$$ and don't have a clue what I'm talking about besides what I read in magazines...

[ 05-17-2007, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Vlad the Impala ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bump for a 1.75 primary. It would be good to have another option for the bigger primaries since a lot of our horsepower goals have increased.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Woe. I'm glad you guys like the design. Admittedly I have a hard time looking at it considering it is very different from what I have been carrying for the last 7 1/2 years.

Spark plug access is better than the Quad header but not as good as the old TRI-Y due to the longer tubes.
Frame clearance is less because of the longer length but is still better than the Quad header.
Primary size is once again going to be 1 5/8" as there just wasn't enough room to go bigger. (This is the only goal we set, we were not able to meet).

As far as the primary length and calculations, in a perfect world the primary tubes would be exactly the same length. However, in a perfect world we would not have to worry about fitting the header in a car with a very tight engine bay. :mad: So, we added as much length as possible while trying to keep the paired primary tubes relative to each other.price will be about the same as the Quad headers. Availability is pending on moving, setting up the new shop, wiring, building fixtures, bending patterns and creating bending numbers. Most likely July before we can start producing these.

The old TRI-Y headers are, and always will be available as they are what got Clear Image started. I could never bring myself to cutting up the fixtures.

Thanks again for all your comments. And Yes, it does feel good to actually have some positive info to post on the forum! I actually feel relieved to the point I'm not even thinking about my competitors any longer. In fact I wish them luck. Like many of you said, competition is about raising the bar and offering something new, improved, etc. I'm proud to say we have.

[ 05-17-2007, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Clear Image Auto (Dan) ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As Jose says "Boldly going forward since I can't find reverse!"

Keep the positive approach Dan. It will pay off in the long run.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Amazing work. That's the real way of getting ahead... new and better products. Looking forward to seeing pricing, availability, fitment, power gains, and a trade-in option for my budgets.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm happy to see your efforts focused in a more positive direction.
I was getting a little worried there for a bit... ;)

Those headers look great! I may have to try a set. :D And you're right, they definately look different!

Keep looking forward, and good luck in the new digs!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by B. Campbell:
Are there any performance benefits over the original try y's.
All theorectical at this point.....since only one header from one side has been fabbed.

But in theory, these should attain the low RPM power (torque) of Dan's original Tri-Y's while coming close to the high RPM HP of the Quad-1's :cool: .

This is, again, in theory.

KW

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.