Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just had a new cat back installed in my 95.

Before, ($150) I had the stock 2.25 inch exhaust with no mufflers or resonators. I also had kind of a half ass "x-pipe". Basicly the x-pipe consisted of two pipes welded side by side with a quarter (as in 25 cents) sized hole torched between the left and right banks.

It was pretty loud. A little of raspy when I jumped on it real hard. It would drone a little at 60mph. Over all, it was a nice setup.

NOTE: when I added Try-y headers and the random tech cats, it became much louder, and a bit more raspy. When I took it to the track, people always came up to me and told me how bad ass it sounded.

Now, ($475) It is a full 2.5 inch from the cats, all the way to the tail pipes. The pipe is no longer pinched in the various stock locations, i.e., over the rear axle, under the driver's seat. I had a real x-pipe put in. It does not have mufflers or resonators of any kind.

It is about as loud as it was before at idle. It is a deeper sound than it was before. Just tooling around a low throttle, people ask if I have a big block.

Compared to the old set up: At wide open throttle it is a little louder. At part throttle, it is a little louder. At all throttle positions, it is a deeper exhaust note. It hardly drones anymore. Seems there is less exhaust noise in the car.

Bottom line: Going from the hacked up stock 2.25 inch system, with a questionable x-pipe with no mufflers or resonators, to a 2.5 inch, from the cats to the rear of the car, with a good x-pipe, netted me better sound, tad bit louder, less drone, much more overall bad assery and daily driven fun.

·
Registered
522 Posts
"Ever take it off any sweet jumps?" :D

PICS?!?! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.