Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't remember if I posted the graph here or not, but I know I didn't post the video.

Anyway on the dyno day in atlanta with SSHS3 I put down 311 rwhp on a dynojet despite the massive intake leak (oil was pouring out of the back of the manifold and I was leaking so much vacuum that I could not change my HVAC settings)

Here in springfield a couple buddies of mine opened up a performance shop with a Mustang Dyno, I got my leak fixed and strapped up:

Here you can hear the XE 230/236 at idle and at full tilt (this is through open cutouts, has an AWESOME lope and when at full blast it makes your whole body pulse :cool: )

http://home.insightbb.com/~grstevens80/Dyno.wmv

Put down 343.6 RWHP and about 320-330 rwtq (you have to ignore the spike cause it jumped to 2nd gear when the guy running it just floored it too early)

I have a feeling with a good converter 12's are in my future (on stock heads)

Who knows where I will be with new heads.

According to the Mustang dyno which can do 1/4 mile runs as well on a 2.1 short time it ran a 12.9.

Sorry if this is a double post but I can't remember if I posted it or not, I searched but could not find if I had.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Garrett,

Thhose videos are great. Your car sounds awesome. Once you get a set of ported heads on there you will make alot more power. I think you might be in the 11s if you can hook with the ported heads since you ran a 111 mph with the stock ones on the dyno simulation. I think you will run over 114 mph once you get more flow. Great job.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really dont know much about this stuff but I have a question.

I don't believe you could get 12.XX on stock heads.

Also I think that those 1/4 Sims really arent that great at all. Nothing compares to doing it on the strip/street.

IDK tho

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are a bunch of guys on here running 12's on a STOCK motor with just bolt ons, so yes, that time can be good. Not saying that the sim is the best, hell shoot for mid 12's! :D

Troy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With your power and a good suspension setup you'll be running high 12s any time you want them. Heck if I can do it with 314 hp then you should be able to do it easily. However, a good TC would certainly seal the deal.

It sounds like that cam made a really big difference. You're probably making as much power as some heads/cam guys.

BTW, did you make any runs with the pipes connected? I'd be interested to see what difference it makes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your making MORE power than most heads cam guys!!!
Holy Cow!

My 227 cam-head combo never made that much power!

I'm with Steve, I think this has the potential for 11's with the head work.

Do we have another freak car here? It's a good freak.

Congratulations and thakns for showing the info on this cam.

karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My car may have had a rebuild while in police duty, when I had it apart the intake gaskets and even the valve cover gaskets did not look like they had 130K miles on them. However, they would not have done any performance work. When I do slap on some other heads, whats a good way without pulling the engine to find out if the block has been bored out?

I did not run it with the pipes connected on the mustang dyno. However when I ran it down in atlanta, it made about 12 or 13 HP difference. I assume most of the difference is due to my flowCRAP mufflers.

before racing season hits, I am going to redo my exhaust with the dynomax 17449 (I think thats the part #) mufflers and the dyno max 2.5" over the axle pipes (I have 2.25 right now, but at my power level I think I would benefit from 2.5")

I don't put too much faith in dyno drag simulations but the nearest 1/4 mile is about 2 hours away in st louis, and they are not open in mid december.

I plan on hitting the track in april/may when they open.

Hopefully I will have an edge converter in by then.

This cam is for anybody with a converter (any converter...I have a really crappy 2400 stall right now) , that wants a badass sounding idle, and can sacrifice some streetability, i.e. without egr it really does not like cold weather until you give it about 2 mins to warm up. Also when in OD and the converter locks up (currently set to 45 mph in my car) it tends to surge a little at low rpm, like 1500 or so, once it hits 1700 it does fine. I get about 12-13 mpg only a loss of 2 or 3 mpg due to my driving style. Also I very seriously doubt that this thing is emissions legal, but we don't have to bother with that around here.

It was exactly what I was looking for.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Not a Cop:
Also when in OD and the converter locks up (currently set to 45 mph in my car) it tends to surge a little at low rpm, like 1500 or so, once it hits 1700 it does fine.
Bryan H. can fix that for you. He can also lower the TCC lockup speed in both D and OD.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hard to guess flywheel with a higher stall t/c (unless you have stock motor behind the same 'verter as a rough baseline), but the guessing will start at a minimum of 400 for hp and 375 ft*lbs. Bet his injectors are running some extremely high duty numbers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Not a Cop:
....before racing season hits, I am going to redo my exhaust with the dynomax 17449 (I think thats the part #) mufflers and the dyno max 2.5" over the axle pipes....
Garrett,

Got my Dynomax Ultra-Flow cat-back yesterday. I did a test fit and true to their word, the fittings are all TIGHT!!!

The Summit part number is WLK-17375. To clarify my point, Summit almost always uses the manufacturer's part number with the manufacturer's abbreviated name (WLK for Walker) as a prefix.

My cost was $433 delivered ;) .

FWIW.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I already have custom pipes coming from my shorty headers through cutouts to my x pipe. I am going to replace my mufflers with the long case hemi super turbo's (part 17749) and get the dynomax over the axle pipes and a set of dual oval, rolled edge stainless steel magnaflow tips.

Actually my girlfriend is going to pay for all that as a birthday gift to me (she's a keeper)

Still none of that will effect my dyno numbers since they were through cutouts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The part numbers are wlk-17749 for the mufflers
and wlk-54016 and wlk 54017 for the over the axle pipes (one right one left, just don't remember which is which.

I thought about the ultra flow catback, but I want quieter when capped, and do electric cutouts so it can get REALLY loud with the push of a button.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That has got to be one of the coolest videos (dyno) I have seen. Car sounds AWESOME :D

Your fairly close to me.. come summer time we should goto the track together!

Eric :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would be up for a trip to the track but your in the wrong direction for the track I usually go to.

I usually take the 2 hour trip south to st. louis.

However I do have family up in the Antioch, IL area which is not to far from you, in the summer I can try and arrange a trip to the track and stay with them in Antioch so I don't have a killer long drive home after a day of racing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah yes, Antioch is really close to me, and much closer to GLD (Great Lakes Dragaway, my normal home track). From there it would take us probably about 20-25 minutes... normally driving of course

But I wasn't sure how far you were from Byron, I know it is about 1.5-2hours south of me, and I didn't know how far from you.

Either way works, our group and a few other local car groups are setting up a Drag Day at GLD, and Im sure I will be there all throughout the summer!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.