Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have completed the collection with a triple black 96 Fleetwood. 76k, clean, straight and well documented. I have a hoard of B-Body parts and would like to know of anyone knows what is interchangable.

This is going to be my truck. I had a friend setup a 9c1 diff with 4.10s and a posi. I know that is the same width as the D-body, but what do I need to retain ABS? Just swap over the drums and ABS hardware?

Also wondering what hitch fit the Fleetwoods. Is it the same as a sedan or wagon or is it its own design? Does anybody run a brake controller towing 7k?

Body is mint besides a ding in the driver fender and the chrome strips on the quarters and fenders. Does anybody have a clean set they are willing to sell? Or is anybody on here running the aftermarket stainless ones Ive seen on lowrider forums?

Lastly, since I would like to tow with this using the stock LT1 for the time being, what have others done to do a V4P conversion? I already have the oil/trans coolers, FE2 suspension and plan on a gear and posi. Is a TransGo-HD2 worth the effort? I was planning on dropping the temp so the secondary fan kicks on earlier and then I don't need to convert to mechanical. New AC delco shocks are going on front and rear (rears are leaking air). I would like to keep everything as stock as possible for the time being since everything works.

Thanks for any tips. This is my 5th operable 92-96 B/D body and I must say it is the nicest.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ok I am going to take a guess here and say that you bought a hearse. The part about using it as a truck and triple black, which tends to be a limo package make me think that. If you do have a hearse then there can be a lot of none standard parts on your car. Let me know if I am correct or not.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
what do I need to retain ABS?

Don't try - it just won't work. Completely DIFFERENT ABS systems between the B- and D-body. Search will explain all.

what hitch fit the Fleetwoods.

Regular B-body sedan will fit.

Is a TransGo-HD2 worth the effort? I was planning on dropping the temp so the secondary fan kicks on earlier and then I don't need to convert to mechanical.

While of course not the same as all the internal work of a Trans-Go, considering your low miles you can get programming done quite easy to increase line pressures-shift points-lowered fan temps.

Most all B- suspension will fit under a D-.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.

I know B-body is 3 channel and D-body is 4. I figured since the housing is the same the swap would have been done by now. I would like to swap over the 4 channel pieces (whatever they are) to the built 9C1 diff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Cadillac 4-channel system uses two wheel sensors and unique axles with tone rings. You can just swap the backing plates(w/sensors), axles, and brake lines from your Fleetwood to the 9C1 diff. You'll have to plug the hole or leave the sensor in the 9C1 Housing.

If you had an Impala/Caprice rear, the axles wouldn't be interchangeable due to the longer length housing.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome that was what I was hoping for since the diff is already set up. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last question on the ABS. It is a 2.93 peg leg now. Do I need different axles/sensors with a gear swap to say 3.73? Or can it all be programmed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts