Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally buying the B body I have wanted for years. I want to know how much performance I can get out of the LT1 if I only swap the camshaft, roller rockers, and calibrate the PCM? And possibly do something to the exaust. What is your recommended combination of those parts which will maximize engine poewr output? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The stock cam isn't bad to start with. I'd invest in new heads first. Lloyd Eliot heads are one good choice, and he'll work with you to select the appropriate valve train and cam. A higher stall, 9.5" torque converter is also a good idea (2800 stall is great with the stock and mildly modded LT1, any more depends on your setup). 3.42, 3.73 or 4.10 gears are a good choice, depending on where you drive most (city or highway). Clear Image is the highest quality choice for headers/hi-flo cats combination. Lots of choices for the rest of the exhaust system (Clear Image, Pypes X-pipe with dynomax/walker over the axle pipes and your choice of mufflers, and many other cat-back kits).

The more you mod it, the more quickly you'll need a built transmission. CPT (Carolina Performance Transmissions) has a very solid reputation.

Do not use Hypertech for reprogramming. Go to someone like PCM For Less (there are a few others the Forum members use that are just as good) and you can get sooo much more for your money.

I haven't even gotten into the motor yet on my car (other than the valvetrain) and there's a huge difference from when I first got the car.

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,400 Posts
The stock cam isn't bad to start with. I'd invest in new heads first.......
I wouldn't.

Between the two, the heads are a weaker performance 'link' than the cam.

If you can find one, get either the Crane 227 cam (1st choice) or the GMPP 845 cam (2nd choice).

Then.......do everything else that Raxstone stated.

KW

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Well if your finally buying the B body you've wanted for years. Than don't get a Fleetwood:D

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'm finally buying the B body I have wanted for years. I want to know how much performance I can get out of the LT1 if I only swap the camshaft, roller rockers, and calibrate the PCM? And possibly do something to the exaust. What is your recommended combination of those parts which will maximize engine poewr output? Thanks.
You can always buy mine that is already done ;)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I wouldn't.

Between the two, the heads are a weaker performance 'link' than the cam.

If you can find one, get either the Crane 227 cam (1st choice) or the GMPP 845 cam (2nd choice).

Then.......do everything else that Raxstone stated.

KW
what about the 503cc

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Without heads, cam and roller rockers would put me where in terms of power? At least 300 at the flywheel?
Intake, exhaust, and headers should put you in that ballpark. I would start there no matter which way you go. That is a solid foundation for any direction you decide to take.

·
Premium Member
20,400 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,400 Posts
Don't do a cam at all! Start with the Big Three: Gears, Torque Converter and Headers (High Performance Tune from PCMFORLESS a must). That should keep you smiling alot longer :)
In terms of performance, you'll get better results with 3.73 gears, a 2800 stall torque converter and a tune from PCM For Less......than you would with a cam.

KW

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.