Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like fun!

I haven't heard of that brand before...
They're fairly new as far as I can tell but I've heard good things about them. Everything looks very well made from the hardware to the wire harnesses. I should have the old tpi removed shortly and get the motor all cleaned up and ready for the swap. She has been sitting for quite a while and desperately need some TLC.
Car Tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
It is difficult to find an air cleaner that will sit on top of the TBI and flow enough air for the engine. You need a carb hat to turn the intake to the front. It may hit your hood depending on how tall the intake manifold is. A dual plane airgap Offenhouser is probably your best fit. There are a couple of carb hats that will work, but do not use a low profile. Make sure the carb hat faces due front, or you may have mixture issues with individual cylinders. My pic is from my 454, but the design is the same.
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the tip! I got the weiand speed warrior intake at the recommendation of the guys arty Holley when I was shopping for different systems. Although I was kind of looking forward to getting a cowl hood... lol
I did see some dual sided carb hats too. Do you have any experience with them? They seem to be quite low. Il have to do some research on what the cfm is on those before I make a final decision.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
I have seen the dual side intake, but have no experience with it. You will find it difficult to get ducting for the two sided unit. Engine Masters did a show on carb hats, so if you can watch it, they may have some some tips for you. Maybe Engine Masters would do a show on the dual side carb hat vs. a single. I would not try it unless you have a dyno with separate O2 sensors on each header primary to test it. I do not know the HP you are producing, so I do not know the requirements of your intake. 500 HP needs about 800 CFM, and you may be able to interpolate your needs. There is a short carb hat from Spectrum that flows about 400 CFM, and will work on a tame 350. I made a custom carbon fiber hood for clearance of the carb hat, and ducting on my 454. It looks like a bullet on the hood. I am going to make another one that will be hinged instead of using 4 hood pins.
Kitchen appliance Gas Waste container Major appliance Cylinder

Since you have a 700R4, and the system may or may not control the lockup, If the computer has a trans output, and it is ground, you can use a couple of relays to make it work. I wired mine and it accomplishes the task. My ECU has lockup controls for engine function (temp, tps, rpm) but not for the 4th gear or temperature. On top of that the output is ground, not 12v that the trans needs. The trans grounds the 4th gear relay internally, the temp relay externally, and has an interrupt switch on the brake pedal. I should have a trans temp sensor switch that engages the lockup by itself.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
You should be good with the Warrior intake. Another issue you will have is the distributor. You may find it necessary to either install the intake and distributor as a unit, or bore the hole out for the OEM distributor, if you can use it. Check with the manufacturer about the type of distributor you can use. The OEM unit is a HEI, but can be incompatible with some TBI units (Holley Sniper for one). The white wire at the coil input is the tach wire.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should be good with the Warrior intake. Another issue you will have is the distributor. You may find it necessary to either install the intake and distributor as a unit, or bore the hole out for the OEM distributor, if you can use it. Check with the manufacturer about the type of distributor you can use. The OEM unit is a HEI, but can be incompatible with some TBI units (Holley Sniper for one). The white wire at the coil input is the tach wire.
Font Signage Event Wood Advertising
This will give you a better idea of what I'm working with. Not so mild and a 4l65 trans. The motor is a gen 1 406 from 1970. I see that I have some fab work ahead of me. Your hood looks beautiful! Very sleek.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
The only difference between the 4L60 and the 4L65 is the 5 gear planetary. The build level may be different than stock. If you have a manual shift kit, you may not have a lockup converter. It will still work properly, but may not have the ability to run the fluid through a cooler. The lockup has the function of diverting the fluid to the cooler.

Reactions: Shammoosnewdriver

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
The Caddy intake is designed for a 2 bbl TBI, and probably not flow enough for the above unit. My shorty is about the same dimensions as the Caddy, and is only good to about 250-300 HP.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Caddy intake is designed for a 2 bbl TBI, and probably not flow enough for the above unit. My shorty is about the same dimensions as the Caddy, and is only good to about 250-300 HP.
I definitely need more than that. I want as many cfm as I can get. One less thing to deal with when troubleshooting... I'm hoping to see close to 500hp when all is said and done but I'll settle for what I can get.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Pro Charger makes one, and I believe Holley, and Spectre do as well. Engine Masters did a comparison, and other than the low profile, all of the constant diameter elbows worked about the same, as long as the hat was aimed toward the front.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pro Charger makes one, and I believe Holley, and Spectre do as well. Engine Masters did a comparison, and other than the low profile, all of the constant diameter elbows worked about the same, as long as the hat was aimed toward the front.
I may have found the solution to the height issue and the lack of airflow. This unit will pass 1400 cfm and is available in a 180,135, and 120 degree configuration. Too much is just right!
Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Auto part Parallel

·
Registered
20 Posts
I always loved the look of the TPI intake. They are great for low rpm torque but fall short once the revs build.
That new system should work great and probably improve top end power.
Fred has a lot of great info and ideas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I always loved the look of the TPI intake. They are great for low rpm torque but fall short once the revs build.
That new system should work great and probably improve top end power.
Fred has a lot of great info and ideas.
That he does! Truly invaluable to say the least. I've learned more in the last 24 hrs than in the last 3 months.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts