Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
It is difficult to find an air cleaner that will sit on top of the TBI and flow enough air for the engine. You need a carb hat to turn the intake to the front. It may hit your hood depending on how tall the intake manifold is. A dual plane airgap Offenhouser is probably your best fit. There are a couple of carb hats that will work, but do not use a low profile. Make sure the carb hat faces due front, or you may have mixture issues with individual cylinders. My pic is from my 454, but the design is the same.
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
I have seen the dual side intake, but have no experience with it. You will find it difficult to get ducting for the two sided unit. Engine Masters did a show on carb hats, so if you can watch it, they may have some some tips for you. Maybe Engine Masters would do a show on the dual side carb hat vs. a single. I would not try it unless you have a dyno with separate O2 sensors on each header primary to test it. I do not know the HP you are producing, so I do not know the requirements of your intake. 500 HP needs about 800 CFM, and you may be able to interpolate your needs. There is a short carb hat from Spectrum that flows about 400 CFM, and will work on a tame 350. I made a custom carbon fiber hood for clearance of the carb hat, and ducting on my 454. It looks like a bullet on the hood. I am going to make another one that will be hinged instead of using 4 hood pins.
Kitchen appliance Gas Waste container Major appliance Cylinder

Since you have a 700R4, and the system may or may not control the lockup, If the computer has a trans output, and it is ground, you can use a couple of relays to make it work. I wired mine and it accomplishes the task. My ECU has lockup controls for engine function (temp, tps, rpm) but not for the 4th gear or temperature. On top of that the output is ground, not 12v that the trans needs. The trans grounds the 4th gear relay internally, the temp relay externally, and has an interrupt switch on the brake pedal. I should have a trans temp sensor switch that engages the lockup by itself.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
You should be good with the Warrior intake. Another issue you will have is the distributor. You may find it necessary to either install the intake and distributor as a unit, or bore the hole out for the OEM distributor, if you can use it. Check with the manufacturer about the type of distributor you can use. The OEM unit is a HEI, but can be incompatible with some TBI units (Holley Sniper for one). The white wire at the coil input is the tach wire.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
The only difference between the 4L60 and the 4L65 is the 5 gear planetary. The build level may be different than stock. If you have a manual shift kit, you may not have a lockup converter. It will still work properly, but may not have the ability to run the fluid through a cooler. The lockup has the function of diverting the fluid to the cooler.

Reactions: Shammoosnewdriver

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
The Caddy intake is designed for a 2 bbl TBI, and probably not flow enough for the above unit. My shorty is about the same dimensions as the Caddy, and is only good to about 250-300 HP.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Pro Charger makes one, and I believe Holley, and Spectre do as well. Engine Masters did a comparison, and other than the low profile, all of the constant diameter elbows worked about the same, as long as the hat was aimed toward the front.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Where are you going to put the filters? If you are using two sides, 3 inch should be sufficient for intake tubes. The fewer/shallower elbows you have for the intake tubes the better. You might be able to put them under the front of the hood, and have louvers or NACA scoops on the hood (like an old Mustang). You need some kind of tray under the scoop to keep water off of everything.

If you use the skinny hat, you may be able to use a single plane intake manifold if it is not too tall. That would give you more top end performance, but the bottom end will suffer. If you go to a single plane intake manifold, you may need a higher RPM stall speed converter.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Also, I already have the dual plane intake manifold. Weiand Speed Warrior air gap.
I know that from a previous post. It was just an option I thought of. I wanted to inform the poster who added a comment before mine as to what will increase the higher RPM range HP. A dual plane manifold is good for low end torque, but not high end HP.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Oh yeah. I have them pinned on my home screen. I'm still in touch with him. He just now responded and said that it was originally a 4l60 out of a 93 occ. The main reason for the efi upgrade is the amount of grief he went through over the years. I want to actually drive the car not just throw money at it.
They did not make an OCC in 93.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
It could have been a Buick or Chevy.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Holley makes a bolt on arm to work the cable. It is designed to provide the same travel as the GM linkage. I have one on my 454, and it works correctly.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
The bracket has instruction with it. I have one on my 454, and it works as it is supposed to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts