Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
I always loved the look of the TPI intake. They are great for low rpm torque but fall short once the revs build.
That new system should work great and probably improve top end power.
Fred has a lot of great info and ideas.
dual plane will make more low end torque than TPI. TPI shines in the 3000-3500 range.

there is no such thing as a 4L65. it's an internet myth that 5 pinion planets are stronger than 4 pinions. They are actually weaker and if they are non-gm 5 pinions they are total garbage. Not saying that GM 5 pinion are bad, but they are nothing special and I wouldn't waste money on them. The OE high energy band is superior to any kevlar band, more marketing "hype".

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ok, that makes sense for sure. The long runners on a stock TPI do tend to restrict high end hp. I'm replacing with my factory TBI 305 with a TPI 350, I'm planning on using a much more modern EFI setup with a 411 PCM, though your new EFI looks much simpler lol. I'm only looking for around 300hp though, so the TPI should work for me.

Sorry, but I do believe you're misinformed here?
The 4L65E is definitely a real GM transmission, came in vehicles like the 04'-06' GTO, and the 05' Vette. 4L65E Transmission Specs and Updates - Gearstar

I can't speak for GM vs aftermarket trans parts, but a 5 pinion planetary should be capable of taking 25% more power, if all else is equal (material alloys, design, ect.) I have my doubts that a 5 pinion planetary would be weaker than a 4 pinion, outside of weaker material choices.
He has a 4L60 aka 700R4. Someone has thrown some 4L65E parts in and called it a 4L65. Notice there is no "E" on the end of what i wrote. Material is not equal (powder metal on the 5 pinions). like I said the OEM 5 pinions are fine if you have them but they are NOT an upgrade over the 4 pinion. absolutely stay away from after market 5 pinions.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I would suggest you make a project car build thread for this. It'll keep all of your content in one place, and if you ever need to sell it, provides a great spot to point people to documentation.

Don't worry about the transmission for now. Get it running, make sure the shifts are crisp but smooth, and you'll be fine. Eventually I would get a line pressure gauge and monitor for fluctuations in line pressure which will quietly kill your trans before you feel it.
i'm actually gonna disagree here. this is a 700R4 with a TV cable. going to an aftermarket throttle body the throttle geometry needs to be correct or the trans will burn up. i ran a 200-4r on a 2bbl carb and used the th350 "kickdown" stud. while i could get the cable tight @ wot, the part throttle geometry was never correct and a rebuilt unit only lasted me about 2 years of daily driving duties.

I would hook a trans gauge up before I did anything and make sure you get instant pressure rise @ any throttle movement. i would also get a throttle geometry correction kit and verify it with GM literature that has been floating around the internet for 20+ years.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The bracket has instruction with it. I have one on my 454, and it works as it is supposed to.
Except that you had to get your transmission rebuilt recently??? i dont take chances, it takes a few minutes to measure the geometry to see if it's right. got burned by this with Edelbrock linkage a decade ago. edelbrock said it would work. the Internet said it would work. it didn't work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts