Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a New compressor recommendation, the good, the bad and the ugly. Having mine done as I speak, $480 for a Delphi unit, ouch! Can we find one less expensive for my fleet for the next time around?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
I got mine locally out of Austin back around 2009, and I can't seem to find the receipt for the MFG or P/N. That said, the unit was only approximately $225, and it's been working great.

I actually just fired up the car and the system after the car had been in storage for a few years, and the A/C still works like a charm.

When I was piecing together parts for my system, I used this place.

AC Kits.Com

They've got two compressors priced rather inexpensively @ $169 & $257 right now.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
I have not. I know that the web site GM Parts Direct, is just a website for a dealership, and it has nothing to do with GM.

For $hits and giggles, if you'd like to price a Delphi unit, I'd shoot Mike @ Hamilton Chevy a PM and see what his pricing is.

Otherwise, I'd suggest going with an aftermarket, as I've been extremely happy that my system puts out damn near freezing temperature air at the vents (32'-34').

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
New compressors are all made in China these days + probably are cheaper quality than factory ever was. It does not really matter of the brand, they are all made in the same Chinese factory. Blame chinese parts on the US govt GM bailout. I Never liked the Denso/ Delphi compressor clutch, it looks funny too.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Not knowing I could get the stock GM compressor rebuilt, I took my car to my local shop and had them replace it with an aftermarket unit. It blew up after about a week. Literally blew up. I turned the AC on one day and my car suddenly looked like a steam locomotive. It blew a chunk off the back of the compressor where the lines attach.

They replaced it and so far, no more problems.

But my butt hole still puckers whenever I turn it on, because the warranty is up.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
This truck I was driving for a few years, it blew up 6 compressors in a row, cheapest of the cheap chinese compressor was put on. cwm2 I have a AC delco Made in mexico of imported parts compressor waiting to put on, seems to be nice, I have all the parts and tools it just needs to cool off here!

Yes you can rebuild the factory compressor I want to take apart mine, Basically the case O rings are prone to leaking as is is the shaft seal, if it was working ok and was quiet, if you reseal it it should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When he told me the price I said this thing better be able to make a good cup of coffee too! lol! So it sounds like a flip of a coin where it gets built, how long it lasts. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The Delphi unit is one of the best made I have seen. I put two on last year, for a couple of friends. Better quality than the Four Seasons crap at Advance and also seemed to be better than the OEM (Delco).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts