Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I ordered new clamps from Dal on Monday and they showed up today. I was soooo excited I ran out to test fit them.

Only they don't fit. I have the newer graphite bushings with a F-body bar. Dal mentioned that he was sending me the "new redesigned clamp" and I didn't know any different to object.

How are they too small you ask?

Well, the inside gap of the clamp is a full 1/2" narrower than the smallest part of the sides of the bushing.

The inside height of the clamp is such that if the clamp were spread apart to fit the bushing, it would be at least 1/4" too short. That would make the bolt flanges hover off the frame.

Or if I would compress the curved part of the bushing into the clamp, the bar hole would be about 1/2" too small for the bar.

The part number I was sent is 14073310. I'm going to call Dal in the morning and see what he suggests, but I wanted everyone to be aware of this incase they are planning on ordering OEM clamps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Order the greasable 32mm (1.25") Energy Suspension clamps from Summit. You'll then need to put in larger bolts or tack-weld in studs, since I know you've strippedo ut some of the frame holes already.

You're trying to make this one WAAAAY more complicated than necessary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may seem like I'm making this way to complex but not really. I was going to go the simple route of replacing the bolts with bolt/nut combo. Then I found that the clamp was distorted and wanted to pick up one locally. Only no one here has them (oem or aftermarket). I was trying to get them quick and it back fired on me. So I ordered a replacement OEM.

Why the new version is not like the original is beyond me.

One would think that that GM's bushings and clamps would work together.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just talked with Dal. He says, Yep, they're that way and GM assured him that they'll work fine. He voiced concern over the 1/16" gap between the clamp and the frame and they told him it's ok too.

So this may be why another forum member made those spacer plates.

I guess it's time to force them on...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a picture of Dal's F-Body Sway bar install kit. This is from some time back. It has the same PN clamp. I don't know what the new "redesigned" clamps look like.

The clamp is supposed to be for a 1LE sway bar, which is 34mm. I used this kit to install a Herb Adams 34mm front sway bar and used a washer to fill the gap between the clamp and the sway bar. Used new GM bolts. It's been under there for 5 years with no problems.

I, too, had problems compressing the clamp over the bushing on the bar. Used a c-clamp to initially compress it. Then used a bottle jack to press the clamp up against the frame so the stock bolts would reach the frame. It's a giant PITA to do the install by yourself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I, too, had problems compressing the clamp over the bushing on the bar. Used a c-clamp to initially compress it. Then used a bottle jack to press the clamp up against the frame so the stock bolts would reach the frame. It's a giant PITA to do the install by yourself.
And this, boys and girls, is why I said above to use the ES parts.

No contortions or wierd compressions required. Just bolt it on and done. If it takes you more than 20 minutes to swap the bar, you're working too slow :D

I originally did my install using the method Bob described, with the parts he described. It is the reason I recommended the parts I did.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when i had attended the AZISSO meeting, one of the members who was installing the F-body bar had this same problem, with the clamps, it was a PITA.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
And this, boys and girls, is why I said above to use the ES parts.

No contortions or wierd compressions required. Just bolt it on and done. If it takes you more than 20 minutes to swap the bar, you're working too slow :D
[/QUOTE]

AHHH! See I'm too stupid sometimes to read-between-the-lines. Spelling it out like this makes sense to me.

As much as I want to get this fix now (why I was "making thing hard") I'd rather not have to fight like hell to get OEM to work. So I'm calling Summit. If I tell them "ImpalaSS with F-body bar, need 32mm bushing and clamp" will they get me they correct stuff or will I need a part number (?9.5166?) ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.